A Rainy Day in the Catlins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
September 14th 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 530 (09.09.08)

Our time in the Catlins was destined to be rainy as we set off again in the morning to drizzle and mist. That didn’t stop us from enjoying some beautiful rainforest walks to the impressive Matai and Horseshoe Falls and later the stepped Purkaunui Falls.

We’d read that Nugget point is a good viewpoint for seals, sea-lions, penguins etc. so we ventured up the steep cliff hugging road and made our way out to the point. It was extremely blustery out at the end of the point but the views of the jagged and dramatic coast were excellent. The reports of wildlife spotting were a little out though as we were so far above the shore that the one sea lion that we saw was very small - binoculars would be an absolute must for this stop and if you want to get close to the wildlife this is not the place.

We had a van picnic made swiftly in the semi shelter of the back door and were back on the road to Dunedin, a large university town.

We arrived with the rain still pouring and found backpackers for Jean and Mike to stay in while we camped out in the car park. Braving the weather we went for a walk to explore the city centre impressed by some of the large public buildings we found. We were treated to a fish and chip dinner (or fush and chup if you say it like the kiwis do!) in a pub across from the hostel and then retired to the dry for a movie and bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 23; dbt: 0.2147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb