It's a wee bit windy in these parts...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
December 24th 2007
Published: December 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

You must read the title with a Scottish accent. Dunedin has a Scottish background, and every so often there's a Scottish twist on the local kiwi dialect 'round here.

So the last few days we've been discovering some of the wonders that lie down the road from us. The house that we're house-sitting is 4 km from New Zealand's one and only castle. Larnach castle was built in 1871 by a rich banker, politician. The family history was quite interesting, and the castle itself had 4 floors and a spiral staircase leading to a tower. The view from the tower is quite something, as you can see most of the peninsula.

Another day, we ventured on a few little walking trails through some grazing sheep. Duane amused himself by sprinting towards sheep. Once he came up behind a lamb grazing, surprising him. The lamb then bolted towards Charlotte. Needless to say, Duane was lucky the lamb made a quick change of direction to avoid bowling over his wife. The views were spectacular. The ocean stretches out forever and blends into the sky. It was insanely windy on the day we were there, making for some good hair shots!

For those of you who know about my poor track record with houseplants, you'll be happy to know that I haven't killed the garden plants yet. There are some gorgeous blooms in the backyard. Some of you may even know what kind of flowers they are, me not so much!

We are eagerly awaiting the arrival of our friends Kirby and Christina. We don't have any big plans for Christmas day itself, but we will be having a turkey, probably some seafood as well. I think we'll likely do at least one thing we couldn't do on a Christmas day in Canada...

We miss you all, especially around the holidays. We'll be thinking of all of you. We hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and much joy, laughter and love over the holidays!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

A rose by any other name...A rose by any other name...
A rose by any other name...

The backyard garden has at least 7 types of rose bushes!


24th December 2007

Happy birthday
Happy Birthday Charlotte! Hope you enjoy your b'day in kiwi land!
25th December 2007

Glad to see you
Just a note to let you know that your harbor picture with both of you in it, is background on our computer. We get to see you as if you were close by. It especially help on days like Christmas.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Charlotte
26th December 2007

Merry Christmas
Hi guys, Thanks for the bottle of wine you sent for my birthday....I enjoyed it. I know this is late, but just wanted to wish both of you a Merry Christmas, and let you know that we missed you at Christmas Dinner. Also, Happy Birthday Charlotte! Hope you are both doing well.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb