Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
February 16th 2007
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fur SealFur SealFur Seal

A fur seal at Nature's Wonderland
After Rotarua, Stevie & I flew to Dunedin - the wannabe Edinburgh. (Dunedin's great and all the streets are named after Edinburgh - but it doesn't compare to the real thing.)

We've had a great couple of days here including visiting the excellent Otago museum which had an Antarctic display which is giving me ideas for the next trip. We had a look round the grounds of the very pretty Lanarch castle (NZ's only castle). We also went on an off-road tour on the Otago peninsular and saw fur seals close up in a natural breeding site as well viewing the very rare yellow-eyed penguins from a hide above a totally protected beach where they breed.

Today we went to the botanic gardens which has an excellent aviary, up Baldwin street - the world's steepest street - and out to the Royal Albatross Centre which is the only mainland site where albatross' breed. From the hide, we could see parents with chicks, and younsters flapping their wings for the first time as well as the parents flying majestically around. We were very privileged to see so much.

It's freshers week at the uni here so tonight we're off
AlbatrossAlbatrossAlbatross

A Royal Albatross taken from the hide on the Otago Peninsular
to find some more live celtic music in one of the pubs.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Yellow Eyed PenguinYellow Eyed Penguin
Yellow Eyed Penguin

A very rare Yellow Eyed Penguin taken from the hide at Nature's Wonderland on the Otago Peninsular


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb