Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
December 10th 2006
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dunedin is a very pretty old town and has a distincly Scottish feel about the place (I think Dunedin is Edinburgh in Gaelic or something). It is also the home of NZ's oldest university which was set up by the enlightened Scotsmen.

I thought that a good way to see the place would be through a city tour. We saw Baldwin Street which is the world's steepest street, the university and all the other stuff. This included the world's longest "urinal" which is the back of a rope factory (so consequently a very long building) just round the corner from the rugby stadium!!

In the afternoon the tour continued out to the Otago peninsula which is know for it's wildlife including penguins, seals and albatross. First stop was the albatross colony where we had some great views as the massive birds flew overhead. Then it was down to the Yellow Eyed Penguin colony. This is one of the world's rarest penguins, and at this colony they have built a series of hides and trenches so that you get right in amongst them. They are very amusing creatures and we were able to get very close.

The following day
Baldwin StreetBaldwin StreetBaldwin Street

The world's steepest street
I ticked off two of the town's major attractions as I did the Cadbury's and then the Speight's tours. The Cadbury's tour was good but with all these things, they are never as generous as you would want. They took over a local firm back in the day and set up the Cadbury's factory in the 20's. The Speights tour was interesting as they have a lot of the old brewing equipment but the beer is not good and the brewing process is far less natural than micro-brewing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

University clock towerUniversity clock tower
University clock tower

Dunedin uni is the oldest in the country


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb