South Island - Part 1


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
December 9th 2006
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived on South Island after a smooth overnight crossing from Wellington. We pulled over by the ferry port and slept for a few hours before heading along the east coast to Kaikora. Here we caught up with our travelling buddies, Hannah and Gareth, and enjoyed a few nights free camping and we used the savings to fund the local bar. Mike and Gareth invested in a surf lesson while the girls got themselves steadily intoxicated in a local bar (who got the better deal????). The boys thourghly enjoyed their surf lesson so much so that they persuaded the girls to do a lesson the next afternoon. Mike loved it so much he decided to purchase a wet suit, boots and a 7 ft 2 inch surfboard!!

The next afternoon the girls joined the instructor and got kitted up (see photos). Becky insisted on the pink surf board (to go with my wetsuit! Priorities people!!). They had great fun and even both stood up and surfed for real! Brilliant! After a fun few days in Kaikora we headed south to Gore Bay (the boys were searching for surf, but had no luck).

After a night on the beach
Becky and Hannah before their surf lesson Becky and Hannah before their surf lesson Becky and Hannah before their surf lesson

Not the most flattering outfit I have ever had on!!
we headed inland towards the West Coast. We took the scenic Lewis Pass via Hamner Springs, a great thermal pool resort and a few great hours were spent relaxing in the natural outdoor pools. When we hit the west coast we gradually headed south to Franz Josef and Fox glaciers (see photos). We decided to do a days guided hike up Franz Josef Glacier. After we were fully kitted up (gore-tex waterproofs, boot, hat, gloves and crampons) the day started with a 40 min walk to the glacier terminal face. Then it was vertical climb up some ice steps the guides had just finished carving for us. Our guide then took us for 4 hours into the glacier, through ice caves and over narrow bridges. It was a beautiful sight, you are surrounded by ice cavens and blue ice. The views were amazing. We loved the day and would definetly reccommend it. The next day we walked out to Fox glacier where you can get 80m away from the terminal face (compared to 200m at franz josef) without a guide. We steadily drove south along hasst pass to Queenstown for some adventure activites (See previous blog).

After the excitment
Franz Joseph GlacierFranz Joseph GlacierFranz Joseph Glacier

The photo does not do it justice it is massive!! You can only see about 3km here.
of Queenstown we drove to Milford Sound. There is only one road that goes out there and the drive is amazing, one of the best drives in New Zealand. We arrived early (to avoid the tourists and buses from Queenstown) and took a 2.5hr encounter tour around the sound. It was stunning. We saw different wildlife and there were amazing views of the mountains and waterfalls. We were thrilled we took the day to do this trip. It was well worth it.

We then decided to head to the very south coast and travel through the Catlins forest park (mike was again also hoping for surf - which he found at Porpoise bay-see photo). It is a beautiful part of New Zealand with lots of deserted beaches and coves. We visited a fossilised forest from the Jurrasic era which is only visible at low tide. From here we plan to follow the coast northwards again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Becky and Hannah climbing the glacierBecky and Hannah climbing the glacier
Becky and Hannah climbing the glacier

It was actually quite steep. You are climbing ice steps the guides have just cut for you.
Top of the glacierTop of the glacier
Top of the glacier

The glacier goes a further 10km back
Becky looking over QueenstownBecky looking over Queenstown
Becky looking over Queenstown

We had a slightly different view of the town from 12,000ft up.
Mirror lake on the way to Milford SoundMirror lake on the way to Milford Sound
Mirror lake on the way to Milford Sound

Yes that is the mountain reflected in the water!
Becky assumes control of the boat in Milford SoundBecky assumes control of the boat in Milford Sound
Becky assumes control of the boat in Milford Sound

The unsuspecting tourists onboard have no idea - life jackets at the ready!???
Milford Sound Milford Sound
Milford Sound

We could send you hundreds of these amazing scenery photos.
Mike in his new gear - surfboard and wetsuit!Mike in his new gear - surfboard and wetsuit!
Mike in his new gear - surfboard and wetsuit!

Yes there are now three of us in this relationship - becky, mike and the board!!!!! :)
Becky in the CaitlinsBecky in the Caitlins
Becky in the Caitlins

Becky is standing in a fossiled forest. 180 million years old, from the jurrasic era. That is an 180 million year old tree stump she is leaning on!
The Catlins - on the very south coast.The Catlins - on the very south coast.
The Catlins - on the very south coast.

We found this gem while mike was searching for surf.


17th December 2006

You've seen some amazing sights so far on your trip! The pictures, as usual, are fab! What an experience! Hope you both have a fantastic sunny Christmas xx

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb