Catlins Continued...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Curio Bay
September 30th 2007
Published: October 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

cathedral cavecathedral cavecathedral cave

Entrance to the fantastic cathedral cave, a huge horse shoe cave carved out from the sea.
Cathedral Caves
First stop was Cathedral Caves and we arrived right on time for low tide! We walked through the rainforest bush which spiralled down to the beach and then clambered over the rocks to explore the caves, as even at low tide, waves were washing into both cave entrances. The caves were joined at the back and were very pretty, with purple colouration in the rocks. We staggered back up the winding path to the car park, feeling quite invigorated from a bit of morning exercise!

McClean Falls
The exercise didn't end at Cathedral Caves, as we had a shorter up-hill trek to see the beautiful McClean Falls. It was nice and cool walking through the forest, dodging the mini waterfalls cascading along the footpath and steps.

Curio Bay
After lunch we drove further South to Curio Bay to take a look at the Petrified Forest. Nope it wasn't a bunch of terrified trees but lots of fossilised tree trunks and stumps on the beach, that are millions of years old. It was pretty interesting to pick out the different tree and bark details in the fossils, dodging the waves that were washing over the rocks. Then it was back to the farm to feed the lambs! (see previous blog)


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Petrified forestThe Petrified forest
The Petrified forest

Lots of fossilised tree stumps, rather weird really!


Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb