Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
September 28th 2015
Published: October 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Retracing our steps along the highway out of Kaikoura, we spent time admiring the scenery: an avenue of wattle trees, winding roads, little lambs running in paddocks and daffodils blooming - well, I did. Eleanor and Dayna were singing along to Justin Bieber (oblivious to anything), Dean was muttering about the slow drivers in front of us and I just enjoyed the beginning of another marvellous, sunny day on the south island. We had seen the weather report this morning and it was wet and horrible on the west coast, so we have been literally following the sun (or has it been following us??).

Driving into Christchurch through the suburbs was just like driving into any other city. It wasn't until we walked around the city centre that we noticed the extent of the 2011 earthquake's damage. The city has been devastated and is slowly rebuilding. The optimism and strength shown by the citizens is amazing. Murals and artworks can be found on every street and shipping containers have been converted into banks, shops and cafes. Unfortunately there is so much still to be done. Derelict buildings, construction sites, empty lots and rubble are the most prominent features of the central business district.

We had only scheduled one day in this city and it was meant to be a rest day for the girls, really. A chance to see a movie or go to a mall for some down time. Dean drove us out to the Westfield (can't escape it in NZ!) and he left us there so he could have a bit of 'Dean time'. I also chose this place to try out the 'Georgie Pie' that I had seen advertised. A pie at McDonalds! I normally don't eat at a Maccas at home, or overseas, but I felt that I needed to try this NZ specialty (as interpreted by Maccas). Not sure why but, like a lot of food here, it contained cheese too. For other pie-curious people out there who haven't tried one, it's not necessary. Not that it was the worst thing I've ever eaten, but I'm not sure why cheese has to be included. And Maccas wasn't the only place where cheese was part of the pie package. Maybe it's a requirement of food manufacturers in NZ. All food must contain some dairy item to keep the economy going????

Anyway, we spent a couple of hours wandering around virtually the same shops we can find back home and then after a detour at the Pak'n Save, we all found ourselves back at the very luxurious apartment for dinner and an early night. The train to Picton leaves really early (7:00am!!), so Dean dropped us off at the station and then spent the morning checking out more of Christchurch before he flew out later that day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb