The Megamoon begins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
November 5th 2014
Published: November 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Barely three days after the wedding we found ourselves in the queue for security at Heathrow. All my organized packing lists ended up being discarded in favour of some last minute frantic rucksack stuffing at 1 am the night before. I figured so long as I had my passport, all would be well! Covered in confetti ( thanks mum, I bet the heathrow cleaners loved you for that!) we set off on our four month adventure.

The one and only time we've played the honeymoon card so far was on the plane journey where we were treated to a plastic cup of champagne. We had arranged to stopover in Singapore for ten hours in order to take the five hour city tour. It transpired that his barely lasted one and a half hours and that it was essentially a glorified marketing ploy to try and entice us back to visit one day. The tour guide was too enthusiastic for us to handle and the sleep deprivation was really kicking in, so we were happy to settle down in a snooze zone for a few hours. Changi airport is well deserving of its many accolades, there are numerous botanical gardens and a rooftop swimming pool where you can sunbathe, laze in the pool and ummm enjoy the tranquillity of planes taking off every few minutes! Christchurch pretty much just served as a place for us to catch up on sleep before collecting our van. The city centre was decimated during the recent earthquake and during our trip we met quite a few kiwis who have upped and left the city. We woke up early, collected the van and loaded it up with cheap supermarket goodies.

As we navigated our way out of the city the following day, mountains appeared off in the distance, the sunshine streamed in across the dashboard and Tom and I could not help beaming at each other in delight! This is what complete utter heedless freedom really feels like.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb