Christchurch and Selling the Van!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
March 25th 2005
Published: April 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Blackie, our faithful vanBlackie, our faithful vanBlackie, our faithful van

Look, the lights work and everything! (Disclaimer: everything may not work on this van)
We had a very long drive to Christchurch, which probably took a lot of the life out of the van's engine, to meet one of Sarah's friends from her old job in London.
It was great to stay with Alvin, Jenny and Alistair who were incredibly kind to us and helped us to finally sell the van - for $500 to a dodgy Egyptian bloke - through the fantastic Trademe auction site.
We also spent a couple of days hanging around in the Backpackers' Car Market with 40 or so other hopeful sellers. We got a couple of test drives: one nervous German chap, and one slightly strange German chap (most people in New Zealand seemed to be German) but no buyer so we ended up listing the van on Trademe for $1.
By the way, while in Christchurch (which is very nice by the way), we went to see Million Dollar Baby which is an absolutely fantastic film.

So, our New Zealand adventure was over and it was time to fly off in a generally northeasterly direction to Perth (and our first experience of the generally delayed-with-no-good-explanation Qantas).


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The fun and exciting Backpackers' Car MarketThe fun and exciting Backpackers' Car Market
The fun and exciting Backpackers' Car Market

Yayyy! everybody say "Buy my car, pleeeeeeease"
********************************************
**********************

People say driving our old van up the world's steepest street may have contributed to the engine wear, but I say that's pure conjecture.


5th May 2005

That'll teach you
Are you sure that when you asked the Germans about the condition of van they said "Ja, Gut" and not "Kaput". It think you have been dealt an important lesson in trading with Germans. Here's hoping you didn't pay more than the Egyptian. - northernrich

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 18; qc: 95; dbt: 0.2451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb