Grant and Rae's NZ Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
January 27th 2012
Published: January 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lake Brunner.....Lake Brunner.....Lake Brunner.....

...on the drive from Greymouth to Christchurch.
Going to have to be careful what I write in future..........had an e-mail from the Greymouth Tourist Board asking why I thought "Greymouth is a bit of a dump" (did I really write that?).

Weather overnight was horrendous but it was starting to brighten up as we left Greymouth at 08.30. We headed out via Brunner Lake which was very impressive. We then stopped off at the Otira Gorge - unfortunately the first viewing point that we went to didn't have a great view of the gorge! And at the second one,the car was attacked by some playful keas - I'm glad that they prefer metal and plastic to human flesh!!! From there we went on to Arthurs's Pass which involved (some more) steep and windy roads: did a short walk up to the Kiwi version of the Devil's Punchbowl which,given the overnight rain,was in full flow. Still pretty chilly around there though - only about 8/9 degrees!

Next stop was Springfield for lunch - great sausage rolls (still on my healthy diet!). And we were served by someone from Gilberdyke (near where we lived in Yorkshire in the mid-seventies).

Got to our B&B in Christchurch (a very
On the road to....On the road to....On the road to....

....the Otira Gorge - more mountains,clouds,snow!
quaint place on the edge of the Red Zone,only reopened in June after being damaged) 2'ish and went for a wander. Got a better impression of the city than last time (maybe because we new what to expect). They've even got a "Restart" programme going - it entails re-housing shops affected by the earthquake(s) setting up in colourful containers. Looks very "cool"!

Then we took a trip to seaside place called Sumner - that had been affected by the quakes as well with some houses badly affected by landslip. Had a lovely beach and we took a stroll along it (sunny and 17 by then) before getting wandered on the way back into Christchurch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Otira Gorge....The Otira Gorge....
The Otira Gorge....

.....looking up!
"Playful Kea....."Playful Kea.....
"Playful Kea.....

.......attacking the wing mirror!
Arthur's Pass.....Arthur's Pass.....
Arthur's Pass.....

.....the Devil's Punchbowl.
Christchurch.....Christchurch.....
Christchurch.....

.......earthquake damaged - where should the spire be?
Christchurch...Christchurch...
Christchurch...

........cool "container" retail shops.
Sumner,Christchurch....Sumner,Christchurch....
Sumner,Christchurch....

......more damage after quake caused landslip.
Sumner,Christchurch....Sumner,Christchurch....
Sumner,Christchurch....

......as it should be seen.


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb