Queenstown - Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 18th 2010
Published: February 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After being dragged from Lake Wanaka so we could explore the rest of the South Island we arrived into Queenstown. We didn't think we would like Queenstown as it is quite busy and very party - which we are not! It is a nice place but yes it is very busy and is very party! The campsite we stayed at was rubbish and full of annoying people - both old and young, who didn't know what personal space is (example one, in the bathroom people always use the sink next to me when the rest of them are empty, two people stand by the TV room to use their phone and ask us to turn the TV down when they should really move as why would you stand by the TV room to make a call, three people talking in their tents really loudly at 4 in the morning). Also it was freezing at night which made camping hard and kinda ruined the experience a bit. Oh yeah and someone stole Ian's beer he put in the fridge when we were in the kitchen! Pikeys!

Anyone, actual Queenstown is nice. The lake is really good and we went for a nice evening stroll around the lake and botanical gardens one night. We also did the shotover jet which was really cool and rode the gondola (which is a cable car) up the mountain to enjoy the view. We also had the famous Fergburger - twice as it was so amazing! It is by far the best burger I have ever eaten! Luckily we were only there for a few days otherwise I would be about 3 sizes bigger by now.

From Queenstown we went to the Milford Sounds. It is quite far from Queesntown which is annoying! We did the cruise around the sounds which was really good. When we arrived the weather was terrible and we had our first camping experience in the rain. Luckily our extremely cheap Warehouse tent managed to keep us dry in the rain, which is pretty amazing. When we woke the next day though the sun (and sandflies) were out so we got to see the Sounds at it's best. We also got free tickets to go into this underwater thing and look at black corals and all the fish eating it. That was cool too.

The next stop after here was The Catlins. Here we treated ourselves to a motel - YEAH! Mainly cause the tent was wet from the sounds and also cause it was Valentines Day. It was so good to sleep in a bed! Here we went and saw the massive sea lions in surat bay (only one chased us down the beach which was good!) and went to the lighthouse in Nugget Point. We didn't see any yellow eye penguins but that was ok as we had already decided to go to the yellow eye penguin place in Dunedin.

So we went to Dunedin next. Didn't get the best impression of Dunedin when we arrived, mainly cause it was raining, we were greeted by a crazy man yelling down the street and also saw a 12 year old carrying a baby around (so basically like London!). So we left and went to stay in the Otago Peninsula. We went to the penguin place which was so cute as we saw loads of penguins, both the yellow eye ones and the tiny blue ones. I wanted to take one of the blue ones home but Ian told me I couldn't - meany! Also went to look at the Uni (which was ok but nothing great) and went to the steepest street in the world.

After Dunedin we went to Mount Cook. This is the highest mountain in NZ. The first day we got there the weather was great and we got to see the mountain. At our campsite there were a load of old American people staying who were on a dancing tour. I can't remember what they called the dancing they do but it is basically country dancing, where someone calls out directions and you try and do them. They invited us all to join them, which of course we did! It was so much fun and much harder then we thought it would be. Ian loved it and we are considering if our first dance should be this and if we should have a country dancing theme wedding! You have been warned!

The next day it was raining and cold so we didn't do a lot. Went to the visitors center which is really impressive and watched a lot of TV including the boring Winter Olympics.

We left Mount Cook and drove in horrible rain to Christchurch where we are now. Ian is sick (boo) so I'm hanging around waiting for him to get better so we can go out. We were supposed to go swimming with dolphins today but we have had to put it off till tomorrow in the hope he will be better by then. So today I'm going to try and entertain myself - which I am not very good at doing! Get well Ian x




Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.4kb