The Catlins Scenic Drive: Are we in Ireland or New Zealand?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
October 21st 2009
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

A strange but wonderful thing happened as we were travelling around the southern tip of the South Island. On the advice of several people in Milford Sound we set off on the Catlins Scenic Drive. The rain was pouring down, there were sheep and baby lambs everywhere and it was all very green looking. It was like we had been transport home to Ireland! I say it is a wonderful thing because while I was appreciating the scenery around me, it dawned on me that in a rugged natural way, it was special. Given the likeness to home it allowed me a new appreciation of what were hum-drum surroundings back home and gave me a tinge of home sickness. Oh how we take our own countries for granted, but here, with lambs bouncing around in the fields I saw my home country through new eyes.

We left Te Anau early in the morning and trundled our way south towards Invercargill. Despite being a big town, it didn't really have all that much to offer - with the noted exception of its town park. With the sun shining on a beautiful Saturday afternoon we made our way around Queens Park. It was a brilliant place, with a small zoo, some beautiful rose gardens, a huge playground and lots of well maintained grass areas which were full of Kiwi's, both young and old, enjoying their afternoon off.

That night we stayed on a campsite with the cutest Labrador puppy we have seen on the trip to date. Sadly he nearly cooked himself as he ricocheted off the electric fence after we were calling him to come and greet us. Ooops. but he was right as rain after a loud yelp. There really wasn't much else to note in Invercargill so we rose early and continued our journey along the south coast through the Catlins National Park, up to Owaka and Balclutha. While we had intended stopping off for the night in one of these places, the weather was so windy and miserable that we decided to keep going to Dunedin.

Being in Dunedin one day ahead of schedule bought us a sleep in and a full day to explore the city and its Scottish Heritage. What tour did I prioritize in a city with such a full and long history (by New Zealand standards)? Well the short answer is the
"Free" Chocolate"Free" Chocolate"Free" Chocolate

What a goody bag!
chocolate tour. Allow me to explain. I challenge anyone with a sweet tooth to give up the opportunity to receive 'free' chocolate samples! After a bite of lunch around Dunedin town centre we found ourselves being guided up and down stairs in the Cadbury's factory looking at rows of chocolate. When we reached each new area we had to open our plastic bags to receive bars of samples. If we were paying attention and could answer questions on what we had learned on the tour, we got even more chocolate! I found myself thinking that if they employed this tactic in school we would have learned so much more (but would probably not be on this trip as we would be morbidly obese and house-bound!). Laden with chocolate we took some final pictures around town, drove up the official, Guinness Book of Records certified, steepest road in the world, and made our way back to the campsite to pig out - well we couldn't bring any food into Australia in two days so it all had to be eaten!

The following day we made a beeline for Christchurch, only briefly stopping to see the Moeraki Boulders that adorned the front of our Rough Guide to New Zealand. These large spherical rocks were revealed as the mud surrounding them was eroded over the years. They were certainly worth a 15minutes stop off to see them with your own eyes.

Back on the road north to Christchurch, just as we were lamenting the end of our New Zealand adventure a two trailer truck made a good attempt at taking our lives. As we were overtaking in the passing lane the driver failed to notice us and swung right out in our direction. I thank God that Philippe was at the wheel, because had I been driving, we would not be alive. He jammed on the brakes full whack, but Bitsy's brakes not being what they could be, she decided to swing us out into the oncoming lane of traffic. Mr. Cool himself had the presence of mind to find space and land us in the hard shoulder of the other side of the road. I can only imagine what the oncoming traffic were thinking. A few deep breaths and several profanities later we were back on the road, thanking our lucky stars and keeping a safe distance beside the idiot truck!

After our near death experience we actually made good time to Christchurch, arriving in the early afternoon. Our final task was to strip Bitsy bare and try to cram all our belongings back into our small rucksacks. One large rubbish bin later, we were ready, and could reward ourselves with a fairwell New Zealand meal in the centre of Christchurch. Leaving Bitsy at the campstite we caught a bus into the centre of town and found an Irish Pub to eat good food, drink nice beer and reflect on the past month here.

New Zealand is a stunning country. Around every bend is a new and more beautiful view than the last. You could happily spend months touring the country, but we had to make choices. Highlights of our trip were spending time with good friends (Paul, Elisha, Dave and Will), our action packed day in Queenstown constrasted with the still calm of our cruise on Milford Sound, the eery beauty of the glowworms in the Waitomo Caves, getting out in the fresh air of the Abel Tasman National Park and all of the crazy adventures in Bitsy the hippie campervan.

We had to hand Bitsy back. It is strange how attached one can come to a floral metal box on wheels, but when it is your shelter, transport and tormentor (we can't counts the number of bumps on our heads) for four solid weeks it becomes a sort of constant companion that you feel naked without!

Next stop Melbourne, Australia. I wonder will Australia live up to the images of it in my head...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Baldwin StreetBaldwin Street
Baldwin Street

Steepest street in the southern hemisphere in Dunedin
DunedinDunedin
Dunedin

Apparently the second most photographed building in the Southern Hemisphere.


3rd November 2009

best driver
Let us be glad that Philippe is the sun of 'the best driver of the world'.......

Tot: 0.428s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.3298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb