South Island #3


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 4th 2009
Published: February 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Feb 4th
A cool and rainy day so I went to the cinema and saw 'Benjmamin Button' not overly impressed by it!

Feb 5th
Picked Mike up from airport- amazed he was on imt e - had expected him to be delayed out of Heathrow. We went to travel clinic to pick up malaria tabs and had lunch then drove to Hamner springs.

Feb 6th

Very hot and all the forest walks were off limits due to extreme fire risk, so we did a couple of short walks near the river in town and went in the thermal springs - bit too hot when it's 30+ outside and 36 in the water! Played crazy golf in the afternoon!

Feb 7th

Drove up a gravel road to a place where we could walk but road turned very very stony- too much for our ancient vehicle so we ended up turning back and playing pitch and putt! Very hot again!

Feb 8th
Drove through the Lewis pass to the west coast. stopped at the Buller gorge on the way - walked across the swingbridge- scary and then went on zipwire on way back- not as scary as the bridge!Stayed a Punekeiki in the evening.

Feb 9th
Wlked along river near Punekeiki- very jungly vegetation. Went to the pancake rocks- pretty impressive. The drove to Okarito stopping to buy provisions as no shops there.

FEb 10th
Hired Kayaks and went across the lagoon and up very jungly inlets- felt like being in 'Nam! Saw a few birds including kingfisher! Walked to top of lookout in afternoon - great views of next beach and mountains.
FEb 11th
Visited Glaciers on way to Haast. Stayed in cabin on campsite - Drove to Jackson bay inevening which is about 40k from main road- Mike saw a fiordlandpenguin on a walk down to the beach!

Feb 12th
Drove to Queenstown. Really scenic place. Stayed in hotel just outside of centre. Mike ran to top of cable car!








Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb