A Thousand Acres of Sky!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
January 5th 2006
Published: January 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to New ZealandWelcome to New ZealandWelcome to New Zealand

44 million sheep and 4 million people - guess which we have seen more of!!
There is just too much sky, scenery (and sheep) in New Zealand to fit in one small camera. Every corner we turn and hill crest we go over we are presented with stunning views in every direction. If only we had a pound for every 'wow' uttered!

We arrived in Christchurch in time to celebrate New Year with fireworks and new found friends in the main square, before setting ourselves up with a faithful (so far) campervan to take us on the next leg of our adventures.

We headed east first to the turquoise-watered peninsula of Akaroa (where unfortunately it was too windy to swim with dolphins), but we did manage the first of our 'tramps'. Going south we hit Mount Cook, with its spectacular alpine scenery and surrounding lakes and then on to Dunedin via a farmstay in the delightful middle of nowhere and some encounters with the local wildlife.

It's all so 'good-oh!' as they say here!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Travelling light!Travelling light!
Travelling light!

In order to reduce our baggage weight for the local NZ flight to Christchurch we wore and smuggled 20kg in pockets, layers and hand luggage!! It's a good job they didn't weigh us! Everyone else was wearing T-shirts and shorts!
Sunny ChristchurchSunny Christchurch
Sunny Christchurch

Very English looking background!
Bloomin' Luverly!Bloomin' Luverly!
Bloomin' Luverly!

Christchurch Botanical Gardens
Tramping in Akaroa!Tramping in Akaroa!
Tramping in Akaroa!

Not Simon being rude about Adele - tramping is the NZ word for hiking.
On the roadOn the road
On the road

Driving is never a chore with amazing sights everywhere you look!
Cooking on gasCooking on gas
Cooking on gas

Simon gets a help in cooking dinner (and it's not Adele!)
Time at the barTime at the bar
Time at the bar

Simon makes himself at home - a new career perhaps?
PPP Pick up a penguin!PPP Pick up a penguin!
PPP Pick up a penguin!

Spotting endangered yellow-eyed penguins at Moeraki.
Home from Home!Home from Home!
Home from Home!

A night off from the van!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb