New Zealand begins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
July 31st 2003
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

hello friends,

me and lara have arrived in new zealand. As anticipated, the coldness factor is great. We flew into the social hub of auckland in the north island(new zealand is made up of 2 islands) and then flew into the very english city of christchurch. Strangely enough we ran into some people we surfed with a month ago. Small world (after all). Yesterday we converged upon new zealands largest Thermal Reserve. These are a collection of naturally hot springs collected in a friendly resort atmosphere in the snowy mountains. One section of pools was heated from sulpher and was about 110 degrees. Eek. but this was lovely in the chill of the timberland.
Last night we stayed in what we thought was a nice quaint hostel. But after ignoring a warning about the loudness of the street...we were stirred quite abruptly in the middle of the night by some wild screaming and crashing. After trying to sleep through it for 10-20 min...we rose to spy on our disturbance. Two, shall we say elaborately dressed vixens, were screaming and cursing about something...though we could not discern the subject matter. Eventually they fell on the ground near an antique store and decided that kicking and punching in the front window would solve their miseries. So that was lovely.
Today we took a beautiful TranzAlpine Train across the mountains. This is said to be in the Top Ten train rides in the world. Very stunning and impossible to capture with a camera. Tomrrow we are off to walk on some giant glaciers on the sides of mountains. brrrr.
....also...i have booked my ticket to good ol saint louie on aug 18th. So to all that are there....save a hug for me.
tootles fo now
-=brad


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb