Christchurch ODI


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
December 11th 2005
Published: January 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Travelled up to Christchurch to watch a world record breaking game of cricket - not for teh 20 arrests, or 87 ejections, or 2 streakers - but NZ chased down 332 to beat the Aussies!

Got a ticket in the renowned DB stand, and the Aussie Innings was dominated by some comedy ejections by the police. After the first guy was ejected for a poster that read "F*** off Clarke" it turned into a game of can you top this. Guys were kicked out throwing plastic bottles, taunting the security staff, spraying beer, and playing cricket in the aisles.

Meanwhile the Aussies were racking up a decent total with some poor black cap bowling. The tea break entertainment a firefighter race around the outfield, was delightfully upstaged by two naked guys who made their way the top tier of the Paul Kelly stand, to put on a dance show, followed by the inevitable, pee in the corner before casually walking down to the awaiting securty guards.

The two streakers were poor. The first guy (who was clearly a decoy for the 2nd guy) failed to take off his underwear or t-shirt, and then ran into the security guard, while the 2nd guy entered from the DB stand where all the security guards were, and made it about 6 feet onto the pitche before being wrestled to the ground by about 4 guys. Nice try.

Meanwhile, back at the cricket the Aussies obliged by bowling some pish and Vetorri smacking the ball all over the place. After losing wickets just as we (I don't think my allegiance was ever in doubt) looked like taking hold of the game, Styris and then McCullum came on and smacked the ball all over the park. Needing I think 20 off the last 12 balls, McCullum sealed the game with an over to spare. Whilst it's always disappointing to have to witness the Aussies losing (you may remember the 2005 Ashes and the rugby league tri-nations) they must be heartened by their neighbouring country achieving a world record performance in beating them. Unluckly lads!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 39; dbt: 0.127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb