Sunshine, Scenery, Sumner


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Dear All
Although Randy and I are keeping fairly extensive logs, they are too long-winded for some of you, so we will try to keep up this site for some quicker summaries with the best pictures. For those who may be joining us now, we embarked on a year-long journey July 18 to New Zealand, where I will be working as an ER doc in Timaru, on the South Island. We are from New Jersey. The first week of our trip we stopped in French Polynesia where we visited Moorea and Tahiti, then flew on to Christchurch, where we have spent one week and will spend yet another week while I orient in Christchurch Hospital.
We had a week of very rainy weather-they called it a "weather bomb"-and yesterday, Saturday, was our first really nice sunny day. We took a scenic drive up through the Port Hills, just south of the city, and into the beachside town of Sumner (which rates VERY high on the cuteness scale!) and then into the working port town of Lyttelton. The scenery truly was breathtaking, and we saw our first sheep, free-ranging on the mountainside, as well as cattle. People were walking on the beach dressed in everything from winter coats (me!) to barefoot children in shorts and T shirt (the temperature was about 50 F) and there were even people surfing in wetsuits!!
Today it is raining again, so this is the first time we will try to post on this site. If you like it, you can sign up to be notified whenever I make a posting and then you can connect directly to my site.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

SumnerSumner
Sumner

Doesn't this look like a tropical garden? But it's winter here! How do the palms trees live?
MountainsideMountainside
Mountainside

White specks are sheep
Overlooking Quail IslandOverlooking Quail Island
Overlooking Quail Island

The island in the bay is Quail Island; a former leper colony


18th August 2008

NICE
I REALLY LIKE THIS SITE. THE PICS ARE GREAT. HAVE FUN AND STAY IN TOUCH
20th August 2008

Hey Robin I'm glad you are following along with our adventures!
10th September 2008

dplumeresq@aol.com
Can you do my homework?

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb