New Zealand's Oldest City


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
November 21st 2005
Published: November 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post



New Zealand's oldest and second largest city has a lot to offer the visitor. Accommodation at all levels, a casino to try your luck, the finest in cafes, restaurants, and plenty of retail therapy. Walk along the Avon River or perhaps a boat ride. Take the tram to orient yourself to the city and what it has to offer.
It is the place to find top quality ballooning, a vertical thrill ride called Slingshot at 15 The New Brighton Mall or maybe for those less interested in adrenaline rushes the Christchurch museums are spectacular. Make sure you visit the Arts Centre of Christchurch for sureand the Botanic Gardens.
Maybe a Canterbury Brewery Museum Tour. Booking essential. Located at 36 St Asaph Street. Email Victoria Carling at: victoria.carling@lion-nathan.co.nz.
Christchurch is the staging area for the Antarctic. You can experience the area by visiting one of the premier New Zealand attractions the International Antarctic Centre located by the Airport. The # 1 Antarctic attraction in the world. Only a few minutes from the Christchurch airport.

Lots and lots to do if cruising a city is your thing. There are over 748 parks in the Garden City. You can park your camper van downtown at the city car park on Tuam Street for the day. From there the rest is all walking distance. If you like hot or spicy condiments the best shop in the South Island is a block away as you go into town on Manchester Street, AJI Spice Shop. Check it out!

Grab a ride on the Tramway for an inner city tour. From here you can determine where all the places are you wish to visit. In reality the inner city is small and easy to negotiate. Start off in Cathedral Square in the heart of it all. Over 50 stalls to visit in the Square along with the Cathedral.

The Canterbury Museum covering New Zealand history is a great visit. The Arts Centre has over 40 studios, galleries and workshops plus in the summer months there are over 80 stalls over the weekend. The new $47.5 million Christchurch Art Gallery is a real showcase not to miss.

A few restaurants that stand out are the Dux de Lux on Hereford & Montreal. They have an on site brewery producing seven multi-award beers in addition to top quality seafood and vegetarian cuisine. The Coyote at 126 Oxford Terrace dishes out top Kiwi cuisine with a Sante Fe twist. Winnie Bagos has our vote for the best gourmet pizza.

Out of town a bit is the Willow Bank at 60 Hussey Road where you can enjoy an evening buffet featuring a traditional Maori hangi.

Forty minutes north of Christchurch in the Waipara region is Canterbury House,
a top quality gourmet restaurant of elegance and style presenting the best of the regions food and wine.


For the traveler we recommend the best place in the area to stay overnight is the North South Holiday Park, 530 Sawyers Arms Road at the circle of Route One minutes from the airport. Top facility that makes it easy to stay in the area and get everywhere easily. They provide lots of different accommodation for all travelers.

Before leaving the Christchurch area we shall move out to the east to banks penisula and the town of Akaroa next. Come along for a little French atmosphere……….








Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb