Christchurch - and the Antartic!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 5th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke to a stinky room (thanks to us - he he!) and after Diane informing me she had the worst night's sleep ever to the squeakest bed i the world (it was true that she couldn't even breath without it squeaking) and plus feeling like we hadn't really bonded with our room mates (they kept sighing when we were reading in our room last night - it was only 10.30pm for heavens sake!) we decided to splash out and upgrade to a twin room rather than a dorm.

After moving our stuff (what bliss for it just to be us two in our own mess!) we wandered out into the city.

They have a giant chess board here than anyone can play, we also heard about a Fudge Factory where you can go and watch them make fudge!

Being girls we decided to go and check that out and after seeing that they wanted to charge 15 dollars for the previlledge, we agreed that just viewing the fudge shop would do and was even treated to some free fudge tasting!

After donating to the shop by buying some fudge (we wanted to help, plus it's yummy) we headed back to the city centre. Everyday at 1pm a crazy man dressed as a wizzard (or as the lonely planet puts it - looks like an extra from an Harry Potter film) gives a speech to everyone and anyone that will listen to him. We stayed for a while, and even though he made fun of himself and was quite amusing we moved on after 20 minutes (not sure how long he talks for).

We wanted to go to the Antartic Museum here so after lunch took Lucy for a drive.

We were pretty shocked to find that they charged for parking (they say its to help with the Penguin Conservation but also charge you 30 dollars to get in - rip off!) but overall the Museum is quite good!

They have an Ice and Snow Experience area where they perform an 'Artic' storm every hour. The room is set to -8 degrees and when the storm starts the wind chill factor can go as low as -46 degrees - that's pretty cold - I couldn't feel my nose when I came out!

They also have a Penguin section where they have Little Blue
Crazy Wizzard ManCrazy Wizzard ManCrazy Wizzard Man

Preaching to his, erm, pubic?
Penguins (the ones we saw at Omaru) that they have rescued from the wild. They all have some kind of disability, some have paralysed flippers and one has a fishing hook still its in eye that they can't remove, so it's really good to see they have been rescued. We are just in time for Feeding time too - they are soooo cute!

After this we drove back to the Hostel where we began the task of emptying out Lucy - we have to return her to the rental place tomorrow - boooo!

We take our stuff to the room (how did it grow to this amount!) and then have a cheeky snooze and only wake at 8.15pm - whoopsies!

We had planned to go out tonight but by the time we have had our dinner of left over curry (still as good the 2nd time around) it's 10pm and as we get back to the room we make the mistake of turning on the TV. So we decide to save our money (apparently the bars only get going Wednesday to Sunday) and have a lazy night in with the luxury of our our room.

Bliss!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Little Blue PenguinsLittle Blue Penguins
Little Blue Penguins

This is what we saw in Omaru
Freeeezing!Freeeezing!
Freeeezing!

In the snow centre, -8 degrees!


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb