the longest journey ever


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0



Untitled Hello! Amy and I have FINALLY arrived at our hostel in Christchurch 30 hours after I left home. Apon arriving in LA we had already met up with the other girl we knew coming from UW. She will be on the North Island though so it may have been the last time we see her. We also met a guy from WSU who was on our flight and will be at University of Canterbury and living in Ilam Village just like us! We all had dinner ar LAX and then took a 13 hour flight to Auckland, New Zealand where we discovered our flight to Christchurch was canceled. So then we stood in a line for 2 hours with 140 pounds of luggage each until we could book a later flight. The airlines put us up in a hotel nearby that fed us breakfast and lunch and I got a shower and a nap which were very much needed. Later we took a bus back to the airport for our flight to Christchurch only to find out that it was delayed. Anyway, the University of Canterbury paid for the taxi that was at the gate waiting for us with our names on a sign, and he drove us to our hostel in the center of Christchurch with a little tour guide narration along the way. I left home at 11am Thursday and it is now 1am Saturday (8pm Saturday in NZ). But this hostel, called Base Backpackers, is the nicest and largest I have ever seen. Everyone we have encountered so far has been really friendly too. Tomorrow we shall see the city a bit and Monday we get to move into our housing. Just wanted everyone to know I made it here safe and sound. So far this place is a lot like home, except they drive on the opposite side of the road and the people are nicer. I almost got in the driver seat of the cab at the airport haha. Oh and by the way.. it's 3 degrees Celsius. Hope summer is still happening for you all!

Love, Jamie

Advertisement



7th July 2007

miss you!
Glad you got there safely!! Love you!
8th July 2007

Glad you made it
Yes we are still having summer. Caught a few crab and plan to put my sail boat in the water today. Thanks for the update. Connie
9th July 2007

Long journey....great reward
Yeah, glad you figured out the travel blog! It is weird being on the other side of it, now I get to live through your adventures! Keep them coming when you have the chance, all of us in our "normal" lives will be looking forward to it. PS--miss ya at work!

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb