Magic Trip- The Decision - The Plan


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
May 30th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

New Zealand

the New Zealand route

Australasia » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch By elluco
May 30th 2007

I have exactly 3 weeks here. That really is the minimum of minimums you can do this country. The maximum if you are into sheep!.

Although, it is not the size of Australia, the amount of scenery and scope of activities to do is vast, and I really will only touch on activities and the natural beauty of this country.

So far, I have been in Christchurch for 2 nights and a day. It is very much an English inspired town, with its Catheral, town square, river/brook, water-wheels and Victorian era architecture. Is pretty sleepy to be honest, but a nice place to hang around for a day or 2. Weekends are pretty lively, which I can testify to, ending up in KFC at 6am after hitting a number of Irish Pubs.

Anyway, after my Oz experience of Public Transport, I'm opting for the backpacker, hop on/off bus. This is the best option, for the solo traveller, with limited time and no mates! Alternative options are Camper van, preferably with a lady friend, or hire car with a random German backpacker. Since Im over Germans (they are nice people, just not 98% of the gap year ones who see oz as a prime location to hang out, volk.... try somewhere else), and I am without a companion I opt for the backpacker bus.

Now, theres 3 options
South Island
for the lonesome traveller: the Kiwi Ex; the Magic Bus or the Stray bus.

The notorious Kiwi Ex, is the party 18 - 20, bus, packed with spotty hormonal gap year pommes. Its the most popular, 2 buses tailed each other, and was packed to the gills. If your 18, need to sow your wild oats, and want a cert (as its full of english). This is your trip. You'll also get the odd, late 20's, early 30's, doesnt get much action, on this bus having a perv. Good luck if thats your thing. They're bloody dear as well. This still doesnt detere, the gap year student. Probably because Pops is funding the trip!

The Magic bus, the the lesser know, equivalent, to K Ex! Is also the cheapest of the 3, does the same routes as KE, seems to depart each day! And doesnt have as much of a party rep. Is Aimed at the 18 - 35 traveller. (just made it in)

The stray bus, is aimed the the outdoor type 18 - young at heart, who likes the stray off the beaten track. I didnt see one of their buses on my travels, so that says it all.

I've been saying all along that I'd take the stray as I wanted an unrivalled outdoor experience with no spotty teenagers.

I chose the magic, mainly because as much as I like the outdoors, fitness challenge etc, i also like the indoors of a pub and a bit of craic! And the rep reckoned this was the best compromise!

Ok I've bought a south Island christchurch - greymouth, by trans-alpin train, greymouth, franz joeph, Queenstown, dunedin, up the east coast then to the north Island, Wellington to Auckland with a few stops. I've got about 16 days to do. Trip so far $450





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

mummymummy
mummy

not you mum
Christchurch Sunset 2Christchurch Sunset 2
Christchurch Sunset 2

within 2 mins of previous photo


Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb