Chirstchurch to Picton


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Canterbury Plains
January 2nd 2007
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

KaikouraKaikouraKaikoura

Sperm whale diving
2/1/07

It was cloudy and freezing when we left Christchurch and we headed up the coast for Kaikoura. The coastline on this side was lovely as well so we stopped to take pictures at a place called Cathedral Cliffs. These rocks were weird because they have been formed like organ pipes. We then stopped in Cheviot for lunch before driving up to Kaikoura.


We got to our next Bella Vista in Kaikoura around 12.00 and this motel was up a hill overlooking Kaikoura so wasn’t too far out of town. We walked down for lunch and then went along to the Whale Watch boat for our 2.30pm sailing. IT WAS CANCELLED because the weather had been so bad, but we reckoned the sea looked calm enough to go out. The previous three days had been cancelled as well and we couldn’t get on to another boat for the next day so we got our money back.


We were all gutted but by the time we had walked back into Kaikoura, decided to go to the information centre and see about getting flights out to see the whales instead. The woman at the centre phoned Wings Over
KaikouraKaikouraKaikoura

Whale from the plane
Whales and they could get us in at 11.00am the next day. Yay.

After that there wasn’t a lot to do but we found a crazy golf course and played that in the rain and then you guessed it, we went to the pub to play pool - coke this time. After tea it was back to the motel to watch a movie and then an early(ish) night.


3/1/07

Thank goodness the weather was OK for flying the next day. We went up in a small plane over the Pacific Ocean that just sat 8 people including the pilot and were flying for about half and hour. We didn’t think we were going to see any whales, but then we spotted one. It was just about to dive, so hopefully you can see the tail on the photo. It took about another 10 minutes to spot another, and then we spotted another straight away. It was amazing to see and so glad we managed to do it.


Because we were sailing from Picton the next day we just had a steady drive out of Kaikoura. We stopped just long the coast and saw New
KaikouraKaikouraKaikoura

Whale from the plane
Zealand Fur Seals. We got well close to them and one was roaring and making funny noises so I thought it was coming for me - see photo. It was good to see them so close up but a shame they are the same colour as the rocks - hope you can make them out.


We then went into Blenheim for some lunch and had a walk round the town. That is a lovely place to see and would have been good to have a night there, much more to do than Greymouth.


After a snack attack we went to Picton to our motel the Americano and we were upstairs again and it was an older motel, but we weren’t bothered as we were only there for one night.

We had a walk round the harbour and saw loads of posh boats. We still haven’t won the lottery so can’t get one to sail home in. We then went to a pub called the Flying Haggis (a Scottish pub) and had a couple of Tennents lagers and looked at some daft books with Glasgow Patter in them. After that we went and played crazy golf
KaikouraKaikouraKaikoura

Whale from the plane
and I won - at last.


We went looking for somewhere to have tea and this woman suggested an Indian so we went there and it was really nice. Ate too much though. We went back to the motel and watched tele for a bit but didn’t stay up too late because we had to be at the ferry for 7.00am.


Next installment due soon.

Ebo
xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

KaikouraKaikoura
Kaikoura

Whale from the plane
KaikouraKaikoura
Kaikoura

Whale from the plane
Just outside KaikouraJust outside Kaikoura
Just outside Kaikoura

Me trying to get away fast from the seals
PictonPicton
Picton

Me and Uncle Andy at the Picton War Memorial


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb