Rogaining national champs


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Blenheim
March 3rd 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a week in Totaranui, we headed over to Blenheim for the Rogaining national champs. (Rogaining is a bit like orienteering, except you get to choose which controls you visit within a set period of time).

We picked up Richie, Hannah and Brenda from Picton and stuffed them into the car. We were packed to the roof inside with packs, shoes and other gear. The car was sitting so low, people thought we were high beaming them.

We camped overnight in Ward, then headed into the hills at the base of the Kaikoura ranges. It was a nervous drive along the 12km of dirt road, dragging the bum of the car. The four others set out to race, while I went to Blenheim in search of a good coffee.

Twenty four hours later, the teams started to straggle in. It had been a hot 2 days and a very cold night. Ben and Richie were forced to drink from dodgy farm streams, pushing the cow pats aside.

Hannah and Brenda smoked the other womens teams, taking 1st place. Awesome. They looked remarkably fresh when they arrived at the finish line. The boys looked tired and chaffed.

Fun and games


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb