Arthur's Pass


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well the rain managed to last overnight and it was still raining when we caught our bus to Arthur's Pass. We had a stopover in a place called Greymouth for some lunch before continuing onto Arthur's Pass.

Arthur's Pass is a mountain pass in the Southern Alps and is named after the bloke (Presumably called Arthur) who found the pass through the mountains. The village that sits in the middle of the pass is a tiny place in the middle of nowhere.

It's sole attraction is the super scenery around the area. Unfortunately we arrived in weather that was less than useful for sightseeing. In fact it rained pretty much right through until lunchtime the following day. We (Us, Simon (An English lad), Laurent (French guy) and an American fella) spent our first evening playing board games before boredoom overtook us and we headed down to the local pub. We had a few beers and watched a movie with the eccentric new landlord (It was his second night) before calling it a night.

The following afternoon it eased off enough for ourselves and Simon to attempt some sort of trek. We headed along the main road and climbed up Mount Bealey to the tree line which was about 1,400 metres or so. The climb was tough but it was great to get out and about after lazing in the hostel. We got soaked through and had lovely showers when we got back to the hostel.

We ended up spending the evening playing cards with Simon and a crazy dutch guy called Ruben. After a good laugh learning dutch card games we hit the hay.

Next Stop Kaikoura...





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



20th June 2007

Not a patch on Arthur's Seat I'd say... ha!

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb