Arthur's Pass and a Soak in the Springs


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left grey Greymouth hoping that as we moved away from the west coast the weather might improve, and we would get some days without rain! Today would be quite a long drive as we decided to go the scenic route, to Hamner Springs via Arthur's Pass. We stopped at a few viewpoints before reaching Death's Corner, where we met another cheeky Kea.

By mid-morning the sun was shining and we stopped in the village for a quick break and watched a black and white video on the history of this incredible route. It was built originally in hope that it would bring some of the prosperity of the gold-rush on the west coast to Christchurch. Unfortunately this failed, however it is a very scenic drive and one of the most impressive engineering feats in Nz.

After all that driving we decided to treat ourselves with a complimentary coupon! We enjoyed the outdoor hot springs as the sun set at Hamner Springs - the stresses of travelling! Actually this was well received after all that driving up & down hair-pin bends. We tested out the various different spring/mineral pools of various heat intensities, & enjoyed a hot soak in a deep plunge pool - all containing different health benefits. You had to run to the various pools of water due to the crisp refreshing outdoor temperatures! The campsite that night was one of our least favourites, a little overcrowded and compact, and not very scenic!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 18; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb