Akaroa


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Akaroa
August 11th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I enjoyed Christchurch and i'm a bit reluctant to leave, but i had to because there is so much ahead of me to see. I'd had a glimpse of the Banks Peninsula from the top of the Gondola and it did look enticing. My drive there was over narrow, steep climbing roads with lots of intrepid cyclists and wonderful views over land and sea. From the top of the saddle overlooking Akaroa harbour - very like a Scottish sea loch but actually a flooded volcanic crater (and an enormous one at that) - the views were magnificent. The road to Akaroa took me through some pretty little villages on the coast with some interesting signs leading to tempting high level country routes and coastal bays. Akaroa was absolutley charming. It's French history is reflected in it's street names and style of some of its buildings, which adds to its charm and character.

I booked ahead to stay in the Akaroa Criterion Motel, but as it was full all i could get was a B&B room in the owners' (Gabrielle and David) house - and very hospitable and comfortable it was too (and great breakfasts too). They had a very 'ferocious' guard dog called Mister - who was never without his big fluffy squeaky toy in his mouth, and who cried with joy every time a stranger entered the house - never seen such a waggy tail! They also had the fluffiest cat you can imagine - Jasmine was very friendly but perhaps a better 'guard dog' than Mister! The village is also renowned for the quality of its food so naturally i took advantage - even to the extent of fish and chips at the local waterfront chippie.

My first day there turned out to be excellent. On the way in the previous day i'd stopped off at the local golf club and made arrangements for a game. I had to make sure that my casual attire was acceptanle and, as i would no longer have clubs at my disposal, ensure that i could hire clubs. Well, the locals couldn't have been more helpful because, although all the available sets of clubs had been pre-booked, local members agreed to let me use their spare sets. i'd a magical game considering i hadn't played for a while and with strange clubs. The course was superb - and probably overall in terms of course qualityand views, the best we've played on our travels. The general scenery reminded me so much of the best of Perthshire and, like Scotland, the sun shone constantly. i managed 18 holes and i only lost two balls.

With the weather continuing to be fine i drove up one of the inland roads to the summit of the ridge and stopped for a hike through the native forest to a point where there were excellent 360 degree views. Legs were a wee bit tired that night. Next day was a chance to take to the water. This was an opportunity to swim with the unique Hector's dolphins which are found only in this area. Luckily the weather was fine and warm although a cold southerly was expected. After getting kitted out in wetsuits and rubber shoes to keep me warm and buoyant, i set off in the catamaran with great hopes of finding some dolphins to swim with. The first pod we came across weren't very interested in playing with us (probably more interested in feeding), but then we were lucky enough to come across a large pod of about a dozen dolphins who were up for a game or two - a really fantastic experience!! With a good chunk of the afternoon left i put on my walking shoes and headed up the hill to Purple Peak. Pechin' . Refreshed, i headed up the unrelenting hill path to enjoy the sounds and smells of wildlife and wonderful views of the hills and water.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb