driving on the South Island, and dolphins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Akaroa
February 20th 2006
Published: February 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

20-21 February 2006:

We arrived in Christchurch in the early afternoon and immediately picked up our rental car and headed for Banks peninsula, to the little town of Akaroa, located right on the bay. It was originally a French village and all the streets have French names. On Tuesday morning we went on a cruise to see dolphins and little blue penguins. I was mostly interested in seeing the penguins and we saw mostly dolphins, but they were wonderful, plentiful and playful and the scenery was gorgeous.
We have stopped for the night in Geraldine and just had “stone grill” for dinner. This is where they heat up a square stone about 6 inches by 8 inches by 1 inch to 400 degrees F. and bring you a chunk of raw meat which you then cook yourself on the hot stone. They say that the stone will stay hot for up to 4 hours. All of you who know Gunnar well know that he grilled a big beef steak. I, on the other hand, chose prawns.


Sorry, there are still no pictures, as Gunnar isn't ready (he needs to make sure his pictures are good). They will come.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb