Touchdown!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Akaroa
February 18th 2006
Published: March 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Home Sweet HomeHome Sweet HomeHome Sweet Home

Our 'pad' for the next 11 days - nice views from the back door.
Kia Ora! (original start, I'm sure)

We've landed - a mere 18,000km from home - and soon as we stepped out of the airport we were greeted with flowers. Who told them we were coming? OK, so it's National Flower Week and everyone's getting the same treatment - but it felt like good karma.

The flight(s) were great - managed to sleep a lot - as well as eat and drink the equivalent of 3 days food in 27 hours - must've been the time difference kicking in.

Two days in Christchurch to acclimatise. Did this pretty well. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at the hotel so we were found another. It turned out to be a 2-bed, 2-bath suite with lounge, dining room and kitchen in the Old Government Buildings. Huge - with galleried layout, massive windows overlooking Cathedral Square. Hrrr hrrr. We HAVE arrived.

Went up the scenic gondola for a view of the city and elected to ride back down on Mountain Bikes. Seemed like a good idea. Downhill and all that. The guy with the bikes had the last laugh though as we had to start by going uphill first. Think
AkaroaAkaroaAkaroa

A bit like the Highlands - just add warm weather.
it was only 100yds but it felt like forever. We hope we got just out of sight before stopping and gasping for breath. The remainder of the cycle was great - cautious Kate was in front to stop nutty Nat from attempting any landspeed records. Arrived safely at the bottom and promptly devoured 3 kilos of chilli nachos. Beaut.

Picked up the campervan on Thursday and headed to the Banks Peninsula and Akaroa. It's a small town on the coast - very French colonial. Very picturesque.

This morning we were up bright and early to go swimming with dolphins. They're Hector Dolphins - small, endangered and very appealing. Even the sight of us in our wetsuits didn't frighten them away. Kate was the first in our group to be almost nudged by one as soon as we got into the water. Spent an hour or so singing to them (this attracts them apparently) - though we weren't exactly overrun. I don't know if it was the cold water or the anticipation - but I couldn't remember a song for the life of me. My repetoire consisted of 'Come Up and See Me' and the Titanic song (no, not
HectorHectorHector

Not quite National Geographic but you get the idea ...
the Celine Dion version - although that kinda wailing might've proved more effective).

The dolphins hung around a little but weren't exactly playful. Might have had something to do with the guy on our boat who was given a pair of stones to knock together in the water (another attraction technique). He chose to throw the stones at the dolphins instead. Doh. I think he was American. Despite his best efforts, we did have a great time and got to see several pods over the few hours.

Anyway, anyway, anyway, sun's shining and am sure you're bored already. Gotta go and see a man about a beer.

Love to all
N & K

(Typed by Natalie - dictated, corrected, approved by Kate)

Advertisement



19th February 2006

Wet Sunday
Sounds great so far. Got your Phone message. The weather here is rough and wet.
19th February 2006

Nope, not bored a bit!
Nice to hear from you. We can appreciate why Hector and his mates are endangered... with tourists and repertoire like that to contend with! Have fun on the next leg, and don't forget to take a Team Photograph - preferrably one where you're facing the camera and sober. Err.. did I say that? ;o) Take care!
20th February 2006

Jaws
Am a bit confused, but then I have spent the weekend hanging upside down on various rides in Alton Towers with Kev, Lauren and Jordan! so my question is regarding Hector as I am unsure whether this is a dolphin or one of you wearing a "fun" Jaws fin.....and a 1960s swimming cap??

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb