Akaroa/Anarctic Center


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Akaroa
February 26th 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our group had an educational trip to the Anarctic Center in Christchurch. It was so cool to have a penguin walk around while we were at the seminar. The arctic storm simulation was terrible! I left Michigan for a reason: to get away from the cold.

Julie and I went on a trip to Akaroa. It's about an hour outside of Christchurch. It was settled by the French instead of the English, so it's a unique place to go. We went on a dolphin swimming experience, which it was amazing to swim in the ocean with dolphins two feet away from you. We had a nice relaxing stay at a bed and breakfast. Our hosts were really cool people who had spent the last 10 years in South America. It was a very relaxing place with awesome views.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

PenguinPenguin
Penguin

The smallest penguin in the world was a visitor during our anarctic seminar
Temperature in  the Anarctic storm simulator Temperature in  the Anarctic storm simulator
Temperature in the Anarctic storm simulator

This was the temp before they put the storm on. I never bothered to look up during the storm because I was too cold
Ice SlideIce Slide
Ice Slide

I did get over myself for long enough to actually slide down the ice slide.
IglooIgloo
Igloo

After 3 minutes of a storm, my nose was so red. I can't imagine having to deal with that for more than a few minutes.
View from BalconyView from Balcony
View from Balcony

The view from our room was amazing. It was so peaceful to wake up in the morning and just sit on our balcony.
Olive GroveOlive Grove
Olive Grove

The bed and breakfast had an olive grove. They made their own olive oil infused with garlic or mandarin/lemon. The grove smelled so wonderful!
MopedMoped
Moped

Our B&B was 10 miles out of town. Since we took the shuttle there, we needed some transportation. The only thing they had was a moped! Good thing I have a cycle endorsement because julie refused to ride her own. We have never laughed so hard at ourselves!!
Swimming with the DolphinsSwimming with the Dolphins
Swimming with the Dolphins

This is the only picture that I actually got with a dolphin.
Frigid WatersFrigid Waters
Frigid Waters

The water was so cold while snorkeling with the dolphins. The wetsuit didn't seem to help at all, but it was still worth it. I had a dolphin swim right under me and a group of five dolphins jumping around about five feet from me.
View from on the waterView from on the water
View from on the water

Well, i couldn't get a pic of the dolphins while swimming with them, so this is all you get to see!
French FarmFrench Farm
French Farm

The French Farm winery has amazing views, gardens, and reisling.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb