Sea Kayaking in Abel Tasman


Advertisement
Published: March 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

AbelTasmanDebsAbelTasmanDebsAbelTasmanDebs

Debs kayaking on dry land...well, the sea was very rough that afternoon.
Drove through Motueka to Marahau, arrived in Abel Tasman National Park at around 3.00ish. Beautiful scenery - stayed at a place called The Barn, the nearest accomodation to the park itself.

Got a water taxi up to Anchorage Point and walked along the coastal track for around 4 hours back to the hostel - through tropical bush, stopping off at the occassional deserted sandy beach.

The water taxis are pretty unusual - you get onto the boat on dry land - they are then hauled out across the beach to the sea by a tractor!

Second day decided to go Sea Kayaking and ended up sailing as well!!! After about an hour of pretty rough sea kayaking, our guide got us to form a raft by lining up together (and handing on to the next kayak) and then hoisted a sail - worked quite efficiently - reckon at points we were doing 4/5 knots!! Kayaked the rest of the way back to the beach we left from. Great day out - if a little tiring on the arms!





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

tractor_boattractor_boat
tractor_boat

To get out the Park - the water taxi had to be dragged across the beach (in low tide) by a tractor.
AbelTasmanAbelTasman
AbelTasman

The view after the initial climb at the start of our walk.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb