Tramping & Camping - The Abel Tasman Trek


Advertisement
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sticking with the Outdoors-y theme, we decided to do some trekking (or tramping as the Kiwi's call it). The Abel Tasman National Park Coastal Trek (51km in total) seemed perfect for us beach lovers so we booked our 4 day trek with 3 nights of camping all online with the NZ DOC (Department of Conservation).

Many of the campsites have no facilities other than Long Drop Toilets and a tap, so there's lots we needed to take with us. Packed our backpacks full of food, water, cooking stove, gas, plates, pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, clothes, tent, toiletries, sleeping bags, wine box with the box removed so it looked like emergency blood supplies.... and realised that they were VERY heavy. Went through everything and realised that everything we had packed was essential!

Parked the car at the head of the trail, attempted to put our backpacks on (a dance like ritual), and off we set... nervously. Day 1 was a slow climb up to wonderful views. We stopped every half hour for a stretch and a pat on each others back. The weather was beautiful with bell birds singing in the trees. Trail really quiet, didn't meet many people at all.
Got to Totaruni and found our campsite. Rehydrated some dehydrated 'food' and cooked on our little stove. Ate, drank some of our "blood bag" and went to bed at about 2045 - before sunset, we were so tired!!!

We did much the same over the 4 days of the trek, with beautiful beaches at every turn.
Day 1 Wainui Car Park to Totaranui
Day 2 Totaranui to Tonga Quarry
Day 3 Tonga Quarry to Torrent Bay Estuary
Day 4 Torrent Bay Estuary to Marahau
Day 5 Nice hot shower and a great meal out!

We walked, we talked, we laughed, we nearly cried, we swam, we ate silly 'trekking food', we got blisters, achy legs, sore backs and mosquito bites.

But, we did it! Not bad for non 'trampers'.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Bath in Cleopatras PoolBath in Cleopatras Pool
Bath in Cleopatras Pool

It was REALLY cold!


26th January 2006

liking the toilet image
26th January 2006

envy
am feeling slightly nauseous (sp? brain?) with envy... especially after the last beach and fab food missive. what are you trying to do to us all? meanies. just to let you know annabet and richard will be in medan just after you arrive so we can all hang out in the many fabulous bars and restaurants of medan (of which there are exactly none) and be merry. can't wait to see you! love rach xx
26th January 2006

Photos
Wonderful photos which show that you had superb weather - shame about the packs and long drop loos! I can recommend the lodges with en suite toilets and showers. I have special memories of the Bell Birds which I tried to record on video and never quite got the full up and down song. On out two trips tramping the Abel Tasman we had a very wet day on each trip, so you did very well - it can really throw it down.
28th January 2006

MEMORIES
Thanks for all the super Photos I have great competiton .Brings back many happy memories of a superb trek and wonderful scenery .

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb