The spectacular South Island...in winter


Advertisement
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our journey through the South Island was wetter and colder than expected, but once again we were lucky and managed to have some sunny days when we planned to do some outdoor activities. Pretty much soon after landing we headed to the Abel Tasman National Park, on the north of the SI. It's quite a small park but very popular because of its natural beauty and accessibility. We did a 2 day hike on the coastal path which included one night in a hut with no electricity and water, and it turned to be no gas either, so bloody freezing! We went with a jet boat more or less at the middle of the all path and trekked back. The view was stunning, with bits in the rainforest and open paths overlooking the sea, unfortunately too cold to swim in.

The highlights of the island were though for me the trekking in the Franz Joseph Glacier and the cinema in Wanaka (this last one thank to Doro's tip)! It was my first time on a glacier (Paul decided to save the money to go to the rugby match back in Auckland between the All Blacks and Australia while I was babysittting 3 kids and a baby together with Doro!). I went with a group of people and a guide. The trek was 4 hours long of which 2 and a half in the glacier. We had trampons on our feet and lots of layers agains the cold...and the rain. Being on the glacier with all around blue ice and tunnels and ice melting was so peaceful and exciting at the same time. Just before going back I asked our guide at which height of the glacier we were and he took out a banana which represented the all glacier and said we were only at the beginning of it, I could't believe that after 1 hour and half we had basically walked few meters but I suppose with all the step cutting it seemed to me a much longer journey. I wanted to do another trek again the day after at the Fox Glacier too if it weren't for the cost...all the activities in NZ are so expensive, hopefully we can do something like that in Patagonia!

Wanaka: a little town in a valley in the Southern Alps with lots of skiing fields around and lots of young people in snowboarding gear. We did none of this but spent 4 hours in the coolest cinema we had ever seen. A small 30 seat cinema where you sit on sofas or couches or in a Morris Minor car while sipping your red wine or a hot chocolate with delicious cookies or for the more hungry ones (me and Paul!) eating a great pizza with vegetables and pesto. It was like being at home....and after 4 months on the road it was a great feeling!! We watched two very good films, In the Valley of Elah and Happy go lucky, both we recommend.

We ended the trip on the SI in Christchurch with Elisa, Stefano and Isabella, a friend of mine I had met in Rome during the course on sustainable tourism, another couple of nomad friends of ours! Elisa spoilt us with her great Italian recipes and we played with Isabella, their 2 year old daughter. Despite the horrible weather we had a great time with them watching "Father Ted" (an hilarious Irish series) and drinking wine. On a miracously sunny day we went to Akaroa and strolled along the seaside.

We then took a flight back to Auckland were we stayed for another 4 days with Brad, Doro and little Theo and spent most of the time with Doro while Brad was in hard yakka mode in Google NZ...I've stolen the T-shirt from Paul and it suits me really well by the way! Doro prepared us great breakfasts and we went walking around their house in the rainforest.

After more than a week of recharging our batteries and spending time with old friends we are now ready to go again at the discovery of South America and hopefully a bit of sun again!







Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb