Abel Tasman National Park


Advertisement
Published: February 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were staying in Tekaka for our Abel Tasman visit... you can't stay in the NP but this is about as close as you can get. We got up at about 6 again on our first morning to go kayaking in the NP. We booked through a company and they took us from one beach about an hour from where we were staying and we then kayaked for about 7 miles to a really secluded bay and had a snack of cookies and orange juice. We got a water taxi back to the beach where we started after seeing 'split apple rock' which 2 Kiwi's had hauled a sofa in between and were sat there drinking a bottle of wine (you can see if you look closely at the photo). That pretty much summs up Kiwi's!! The kayaking was really hard, we didn't realise we have booked for the 7 mile, against the tide trip and with james's dodgy rudder controls we went double the ditance as we zig-zagged our way there!! It was fun though and really beautiful... my shoulder muscles aren't so happy now though!

For the afternoon we went and relaxed after our workout in the kayaks at Pohara beach, about 10 mins from where we were staying. It was a massive white sand beach... the only problem was it was about 30 degrees and the tide was going out so once you were hot enough you thought you were going to pass out it was a walk of what seemed like miles to cool down in the ankle-deep water!

The Abel Tasman was one of our favorite locations so far... if anyone is on there way here, it can't be missed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Split Apple RockSplit Apple Rock
Split Apple Rock

With the 2 Kiwis sitting in the middle!
Water taxi on wheelsWater taxi on wheels
Water taxi on wheels

This is how we were towed back to the kayak base... still in the boat!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb