South Island: I think I need another month.


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Abel Tasman, Looking for Greenstone, and a Big Ice Cube. Ferry from Wellington to Picton The ferry was much bigger then I expected with hundreds of people standing in line when we arrived. I had heard that on one of the decks, they had recliner chairs, which was the place to be if you were planning on sleeping for the 3 hour ride. Lucy, Gardenia, Anthony and I hurried on board to find a nice em... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sunset with WaterSunset with Water
Sunset with Water

Ahhhh, nuff said.
Jade RiverJade River
Jade River

Looking in this small creek that empties into the ocean, you can find jade among the rocks if you look hard enough. I looked for 2 hours and found nothing.
Franz Joseph GlacierFranz Joseph Glacier
Franz Joseph Glacier

Wait, I'm going to climb this tomorrow?? Who's idea was this?
Franz Joseph TownFranz Joseph Town
Franz Joseph Town

Where we stayed for two nights, preparing for the big climb and recovering from it as well.
Glacier from DistanceGlacier from Distance
Glacier from Distance

As we got closer to the glacier, we were asked how far it looked. We thought it was close, but in fact it was still 2.5km away, another 15 minutes walk from this distance.
WarningWarning
Warning

The Warning signs as you headed towards the glacier.
DangerDanger
Danger

These things and more could all be yours for the right price.
ClimbingClimbing
Climbing

With Crampons on, we headed up the freshly made stairs while melting glacier ice rushed past our feet.
Feet on GlacierFeet on Glacier
Feet on Glacier

My feet on the Glacier. Glad it's a little cleaner up here too.
Climbing UpClimbing Up
Climbing Up

Further we go, the blue skys and the dark mountains surrounding it sure made for great scenery.
Still dangerousStill dangerous
Still dangerous

This bowl was at least 40 feet tall. You definitely wanted to watch your step and not fall off these.
Guide and axeGuide and axe
Guide and axe

Our guide chipped away at the ground to make steps for us so we wouldn't slip.
Cave looking backCave looking back
Cave looking back

As we came out of the ice cave, you could seem behind you and all the other groups coming up the glacier. They were a long ways off.
Steep stairsSteep stairs
Steep stairs

A few parts of the climb were definitely difficult, where ropes were used to help us climb. No harnesses were attached though and these 30+ foot climbs could have been deadly.
Ice Cave exitIce Cave exit
Ice Cave exit

Coming out of the ice cave made for an interesting photo. The ice was so blue inside there and your voice echoed in deep tones.
Mountain ClimbMountain Climb
Mountain Climb

Continuing up, the ice got cleaner, the reflection bluer, and the crevasses deeper.
Watch your StepWatch your Step
Watch your Step

As you can see, you don't want to fall here.
Careful FootworkCareful Footwork
Careful Footwork

Walking on the blue ice made for great photos, but was definitely slippery.
ClampsClamps
Clamps

These ice clamps screwed into the ice some 7 inches deep, hopefully holding us as we climbed these steep inclines.
Cows in the roadCows in the road
Cows in the road

Trying to find a good location for photos, we wandered off and got stuck with some cows.



19th July 2007

The ferry
is where I saw Starsky and Hutch. And yes, I agree, you were over-excited. Great glacier shots!
27th July 2007

The Ice Man Cometh
Dude. C'mon. An adventure that might actually top your other adventures? Sheesh! Hiking on/through a glacier? That is just freakin' awesome. The crevasses would be enough to send me back the other way and I don't know what possessed you to "jump" over them (with the possible exception that not jumping would mean you'd fall.) Amazing pictures. Just spectacular. Love the Ace of Bone necklace! It suits you well.

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb