Abel Tasman - Day 14, 15, & 16


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we said good-bye to NZ's North Island and headed to the South Island. We took a ferry that goes through the Cook Straight and takes about three hours. After our stay in the "big city" of Wellington we were ready for Abel Tasman National Park. This National Park occupies a large portion of the South Island's north west coast. We booked a 2 day kayak trip in order to make the most of our time in this fabulous setting. It was an amazing trip! We started by taking a water taxi to the top of the park. From there we took the next two days kayaking down to our starting point. The first day we spent a lot of time with the baby fur seals. They are about 3-4 months old this time of year and are very curious. They swam around our kayaks and showed off for us. It was great! We camped at Bark Bay, one of the many beaches in Abel Tasman. We camped with our guide and another group of kayakers. It was such a fun night and we met some great people from all over. The next morning we woke up for the sunrise which was spectacular and worth the 6am wake-up. Our last day we kayaked back and even did some kayak sailing - we used a sail held up by our ores. Overall the kayak trip was definately a highlight of our New Zealand experience and something we will never forget.

Advertisement



2nd April 2007

Wow! What an adventure!
Hi guys! I have subscribed to your blog and have been reading all about your adventures. I think this trip is the most amazing thing you could do together. I wish we would have taken more trips before becoming parents. Anyway, love you both and have fun!!!! Megz
3rd April 2007

You go
I would have definately signed up for the kayak trip! It sounded perfect.

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb