Adventures in Abel Tasman


Advertisement
Published: January 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Punakaiki we headed to the northern tip of the south island at Farewell Spit (Another place named as a result of the adventures of a certain Captain Cook). Tabs and I had an appointment with two stubborn nags called Mertz and Mickey. OK so they werent so bad, but I am not a horsey person and my mount had a tendency to lurch off suddenly pulling me behind in a cartoon stylee. Tabs enjoyed her ride and we did get to ride on the beach at low tide and through estuary streams which was great fun.

We stayed in Abel Tasman three nights, but each night we moved the camper van to a new site, so we could be ready to explore a new area the next day. The second day was a picture perfect blue sky, with the ocean like a millpond. Perfect for our half day kayaking. It wasn't too strenuous and allowed us to get very close to some of the sea birds and seals (Close enough to smell them).

Our final day in AT (today) involved catching a 9am water taxi to Anchorage bay from where we took off our shoes and socks and waded ashore (there are no jetties along the coast). We then walked back to Marahau stopping for lunch and a swim on the way. (Though Tabs just paddled, I can't convince her it is actually not so cold once you get in!)

Tomorrow we are taking a wine tour in the Marlborough area, then we have the whale watching to look forward to before we have to think about coming home.

Thats it for now! Lots of love

Paul and Tabs xxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb