Tuesday 24th April - Kayaking the Abel Tasman


Advertisement
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

KayakingKayakingKayaking

Just before we head off

Kayaking with the Seal Pups 2
DONT FORGET TO VIEW THE VIDEO OF THIS BLOG ON THE VIDEO LINK

After an uncomfortable night’s sleep with both of us scratching our Sand Fly bites, we wake early to drive to Kaiteriteri beach for our days Kayaking activity. We have been told this is the best way to take in the coastal beauty and sea life of the Abel Tasman.

After our induction on the beach we load our kayaks on an Aqua Taxi and head north for Onetahuti Beach.

We are paddling in tandem kayaks with Kirsten in the front and me in the back. After learning how to steer and raft up we head off around Tonga Island and the seal colony and view some mothers and their pups basking in the mid morning sun.

We continue on to a tiny sheltered bay with a lovely little beach where we plan to have lunch. After beaching our kayaks I decide to go for a swim, much to everybody’s surprise as the water is quite cold.

I swim out a short way where, to my amazement, I literally bumped into some seal pups playing in a sheltered pool. After viewing the pups from a distance from a while they slowly approached to check me out and play. After swimming and diving with the pups alone for 10 minutes I was then joined by most of the group. It did slightly annoy me when some of the group felt it was their right to dive clumsily and try to stroke the pups! Eventually the pups got scared off! Why can’t people respect wildlife and not disturb them in their natural environment!

After a lovely lunch while chilling on the beach with a freshly brewed cappuccino we re-packed the kayaks and paddled north. Our destination was a largely unknown inlet called shag harbour where at this time of year the seal pups play.

As we entered the inlet, we entered a seal pup nursery! There were seal pups everywhere! The rest of the group ventured further into the inlet but we decided to stay near the mouth. We made the right choice and within 10 minutes had 20 pups swimming around the kayak, sometimes jumping on the kayak and even breaking my camera!

What a wonderful experience, one that I don’t think we will ever have again.

We stayed there for about 45mins watching the pups before setting off back to the Aqua taxi. What a great day!

After a home cooked meal in “Dolly” we packed out stuff for an early start in the morning.

We had really enjoyed the Abel Tasman National Park and would urge anyone visiting NZ to go there

Ta Ta for now K & M



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Seal Pup 3Seal Pup 3
Seal Pup 3

I think it was this little sod that killed my camera!


26th May 2007

Seals
Absolutely Amazing! Such a special experience... xxx p
22nd June 2007

Rebeller Awaits Your Return
Watchya Folks. I've been keeping up with most of the entries and I'm massively jelous. Looks like a cracking trip. Have a safe journey back and the geordie T will see the rebeller down the club soon. Cheers JPE

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb