First weekend away!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
August 13th 2017
Published: August 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hi all and here is a cool update from this weekend!



Firstly, Harry the Swift has been replaced by 'Katie' the Toyota Hiace. She's much more suited to long trips and weekends away. On our first outing, we headed up to Coromandel and the forest park. It's about 1hr 20min to Thames from Papakura. It was a mild Winter's day and the scenery was amazing. I visited the same coffee shop that we stopped at in 2011 and really enjoyed a cinammon cappucino and sticky bun straight from the oven. Having watched the waves lap the shore for a while, I continued up towards Coromandel Town and picked up a very friendly hitch-hiker along the way. Coromandel Town is just like I remembered : very beautiful and remote. From Coromadel, I decided to head to the East coast to Hot Water Beach which has an amazing hot spring in the centre of the sands. The water ranged between mildly wam to boiling hot and a couple of people were boiling eggs in one of the pools. After a quick sneaky peek at Cathedral Cove (another visit required) we headed down SH25 and finally back to Thames. Then the heavens opened and a torrential downpour lasted until I hit SH1 and headed back to Hunua.



A thoroughly enjoyable jaunt and one I shall repeat once I've sourced sleeping kit and a pull out awning for Katie.



Peace and love. Sid.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



13th August 2017

Hello Katie!
Sounds like a good first trip out for you both. Cinnamon cappuccino and fresh bun sounds tasty! ?
31st August 2017

Hey Jen and boys
Hey hey from NZ and hoping you and the lads have had a really cool summer break! Not really had any new adventures since Hot Water Beach but am hoping to get out this weekend! Love to all!! O xxx
17th August 2017

The Adventures of Sid and Katie
I've always wanted to see NZ by camper van. For now, I will have to follow along, enviously.

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb