HK and Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
May 3rd 2010
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -36.8474, 174.766

3rd May – last day in HK

The flight to Auckland wasn't until 21:05, so we had almost a full day in HK. Since our last visit in 2008, two new shopping/commercial centres have opened, so it seemed the ideal time to go and have a look round.

The first one was called i-Plaza on Nathan Road, at site of the Hyatt Hotel. We use to go and have breakfast at one of the cafes there, so we were curious how the new building would look. It was modern and glass featured heavily on its exterior. Inside were several levels of shops and restaurants just what Hong Kong is so short of. The other new building was called K11. Not sure why it was called that, but yes, you guessed it was another commercial and shopping opportunity. To be fair though there was an educational element with displays of wild life in Kenya – probably to give the building eco credentials and make you feel good whilst spending money on luxuries imported at vast cost and air miles.

After lunch at our favourite Vietnamese restaurant we walked along the Promenade along the harbour front. We always enjoy sitting there and admiring the skyline on HK Island. It looks different at every visit. What was tall and new and stood out a couple of years ago, was now overshadowed by another, newer, more distinctly designed or taller building. Since we were about to leave, we visited another of our favourite haunts, the HK Museum of Art. We struck gold, as it were, because there was a fabulous exhibition of Chinese ornaments in gold and other accessories in the museum collection. We were amazed at the ability of the goldsmiths in creating such fine and detailed pieces, 2000 years ago. But then human creativity had always been the same and many of the techniques had already been discovered by that time.

Then it was time to make our way to the airport. It made a nice change not having that sinking feeling that we were leaving HK. This was the start of our "big adventure" and one that would take a mere 11 hours (!) of flying.

Advertisement



6th May 2010

You were very brave at the Auckland Sky Tower - I remember being completely unable to step on the glass panel!Hope the weather is being kind to you. What's the temperature?
7th May 2010

Stepping on the glass was a bit weird but as it didn't give way, I felt more confident. It's been sunny and warm, around 17/18 C.

Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.2094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb