New Zealand - North - Russell


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
April 1st 2015
Published: April 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, had lovely breakfast at Fernanda and Eamon's B & B, really was a lovely place to stay and such nice people, so, well fed, we set off heading for The Bay of Islands, further up North, known as Northlands. Sat Nav decides to take us on a mystery ride and we were back on windy mountain roads, Stu say's 'here we go again', how many kilometres this time !!. These roads are very narrow and go very sharply around corners, sometimes they have 'abnormal loads' on the road which take up the whole lot. So in order to clear the road and let oncoming traffic know, they send another small vehicle further up the road with a sign, 'stop', so you have to find a suitable place to stop on the windy road. Somehow it works, probably because there isn't any cars on the road for a start !! We must have travelled a good while before we saw any cars, definitely no human beings !! Loads of sheep and cattle. Sometimes when we get out of the car, we have to un-fold ourselves cos were so bent up, were the shape of the seats !! As usual, beautiful scenery, relaxing and beautiful weather, currently I'm sat here in swimwear and shorts and it is 8.00 pm, just heaven !! Anyhow after a 3 1/2 hour drive which was supposed to be 2 hours we arrived at a very cute little coastal town called Russell. It is absolutely gorgeous, has the oldest church in New Zealand and an RSA (Returned Services Association) which Stu is so happy about. We filled out our visitor forms and promptly went to the bar and I had a half of beer, I love their beer !!! I then went off walking around and Stu stayed chatting to Greg the barman. We are staying in a Motel which is lovely, we have patio doors that open to a beautiful view out to a harbour, Russell the town, is very tiny, the high Street can be seen in less than 5 minutes and that's pushing it !!. It only has a population of 1,000 people and has sunshine most of the year. Just made pasta again, our little larder (which is the car) needs topping up again !!

Hi again, while waiting for the photos to load, popped into the Spa here, had a nice 20 minute relax, now in p.j's, now going to have wine and chocolate, it really cannot get better than this !!!

Oh and I did put on a few more 'Hobby photo's on the 2nd blog for you Hobbies!! Can't help it, such a lovely little place !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb