The North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
October 27th 2004
Published: June 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Twenty BucksTwenty BucksTwenty Bucks

If you visit New Zealand, there is a famous sea food market where they sell fresh catches of the day... expensive items like abalone, tuna, etc etc. All ready to vacuum pack for you to bring home to whatever ASIAN country you came from...
To be honest, I did not know New Zealand was composed of two islands before I went. Yeah I know, I am pretty ignorant. Anyways, so our travel iteniary is pretty much the following. Fly into Auckland, which is the biggest city in the North Island, and then take another flight down to the southern tip of the North Island and take the ferry into the South Island. Rent the car at the South Island and make a loop around. After that, return to the north, rent another car, and start making our way back to Auckland airport again.

Because the South Island was so desolate and unpopulated, coming back to the North Island almost felt like you are back in civilization in someways. Well, on the downside, it also meant more cars, more people, and not as serene an environment as the south. But up north, we got to enjoy more city life, more food and more shopping. As New Zealand is the fruit and seafood capitals of the world, we try to load up on both. In one instance, hitting a fish market for an entire platter of sashimi for a mere twenty bucks.... sooo sweeet...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Natural Springs of RotoruaNatural Springs of Rotorua
Natural Springs of Rotorua

There is a lot of natural springs in New Zealand. Go ahead, take a nice long wifff!
Maori CultureMaori Culture
Maori Culture

New Zealand's first people were Polynesians, so you will find hints of Polynesian culture everywhere... This picture was taken at the famous "Te Papa" museum at Wellington.
Compared to HawaiiCompared to Hawaii
Compared to Hawaii

Yeah, its a tourist trap, but still not as commercialized as the ones in Hawaii. I felt that the Maoris maintained more of their culture and custom as opposed to just using it as tourist attractions. Maybe its because there are more of them there... maybe its because they hold political power? because the place overall is not as touristy as Hawaii?


Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1005s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb