The first few weeks teaching/mt Holdsworth


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
November 4th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bags under the eyes. Unwelcome 6.20 alarm clocks. A bag overflowing of stickers, worksheets and folders. That's right, I've begun teaching again! Let's go back in time a few weeks, and I'll fill you in on 'Mr R', New Zealand stylee!

*WARNING: THE FIRST HALF OF THIS BLOG MAY BE INCREDIBLY BORING FOR THOSE WITHOUT AN INTEREST IN TEACHING. IF YOU FALL INTO THIS CATERGORY, I SUGGEST YOU START SCROLLING DOWN NOW!

After weeks of form filling and a little frustration, I learnt that in addition to going through an agency, it is wise to distribute a CV independently to schools. Many schools prefer to employ you without an agency, and nevertheless, it's good to get your face known and shmooze a few principals along the way! After dozens of weary, sweaty CV drops across the city, I fired off a similar number in emails, and waited for the calls to come in (I am quickly learning as a relief teacher that your mobile phone is your most crucial tool, as calls can come at anytime between 6.30 am and 9pm at night!).

As I am primary trained, I am qualified to teach children ranging from 4 to 13 years old, in either primary, full primary or intermediate schools. My first employment was in an intermediate school in a bay-side suburb, teaching 11 and 12 year olds. I managed to muggle through, but quickly realised that 13 year old, 6ft Maori boys aren't exactly motivated by smiley face stickers! However it was fine, and useful to experience the different behaviour management techniques useful for teaching older kids.

It can certainly be argued that New Zealand schools are slightly more relaxed in some aspects. It is practice in some schools for teachers to be called by their first names; it took me a while to get used to! Children wear their own clothes, and often have to purchase exercise books themselves. I was even in a full primary school where a teacher sent two children to the supermarket to get milk!

There also seems to be more split classes over here; I have recently taught a year 5,6,7 and 8 class! Emphasis is put onto sports and fitness, with many schools holding daily fitness circuits for the children and tennis being a big extra-curricular activity. It is also evident that a lot more money and time is put into the school libraries, with some rivaling those of local communities. The children have a choice from a wide range of books, and also play an active role in maintaining the library, which I like.

However, the more I travel to different Wellington schools, the more I feel that that there are many similarities between English and Kiwi schools. The curriculum seem very similar, with literacy and maths given priority as you would expect. The displays are fantastic, and children's work is displayed everywhere. I was given the impression before leaving the UK that classroom technology was a little behind. Well, although there aren't interactive smart boards in each classroom, I have been very impressed with resources available. Some classrooms have a plasma screen linked to the laptop, and many have imacs and several mac books for the children to work on independently.

I am currently enjoying the challenge of teaching different age groups and in different schools; in the past week I have taught children ranging from 5 to 13! Consequently I am also compiling a wealth of lessons and games that I can call upon when work isn't left by the class teacher. Certainly, life as a 'reliever' in NZ is never boring! Anyway, on the subject of boring, this is more than enough 'teacher talk'.....now for the real New Zealand!

My experiences so far have been restricted to a couple of weekend trips out of the city in the Wellington/Wairarapa region, staying in backcountry DOC huts. The first of these trips was with 10 other people of the hostel, as we tackled the jumbo circuit on Mt Holdsworth. I must admit I was slightly under-prepared mentally, and expected a mildly taxing hike around the mountains for three days.....how I was wrong!

We set out mid-afternoon on the Friday, and after, ahem, a slight glitch in the map-reading, we bumped into a Park official who recommended we retrace our steps to take the 'Gentle Annie' trail, which to quote, 'meanders up the hillside'. Well I don't know about you, but when I think of a 'meander', I think of perhaps a lazy stroll across a hillside, or an amble up a cliff-top path, ice cream in hand. Two hours later, as we grappled with gnarled tree trunks and hauled ourselves over slippery rocks, I motivated myself by cursing this Park ranger's mis-use of the English language, and speculated over what I might do with his walking staff if we ever bumped into him again. It was epic. 95% of the first day was spent walking in forest, climbing steadily until the last quarter of the walk, where the gradient increased noticeably, the path disappeared and we had to navigate through the forest only by tiny orange arrows on tree trunks (which of course I couldn't see due to my colour blindness!). It was also made harder by the fact that we were all carrying laiden, bulky backs on our back which meant that we were all walking like quasimodo for days afterwards.

However, if I had read up on the walk beforehand, I don't think it would have come as such a surprise. Mt Holdsworth is 1470m high, which is over 100 m higher than the highest mountain in the British Isles, Ben Nevis, which comes in at 1,344m. Therefore, we were tackling a mountain that if in the UK, would be regarded with awe and respect. It also confirms the extreme landscapes of New Zealand, where a mountain this high barely gets a mention in the Lonely Planet and is just one of many trails at altitude in the area.

As we staggered into Powell hut, it quickly became apparent that perhaps Alex (the trip planner) was also approaching the trip in a relaxed manner, as he pulled bottles of olive oil, eggs and a coconut from his ridiculously heavy backpack. The hut was very basic but comfortable, with mattresses, cooking stoves and a wood fire. Jamie and I tried our best to cook a meager pasta meal in virtual darkness, and we had a fun evening in front of the fire, and then retired for an early start.

I awoke at the break of dawn, cursing the need to go out into the freezing exterior to the long drop toilet. However, what a great toilet trip it was! As I stepped out onto the hut balcony I joined Cat to observe one of the best sunrises I have ever seen; what had been shrouded in thick cloud previously was now revealed. The cloud had dropped to perhaps 500 metres, and stretched across in a fluffy blanket. Mountain tops penetrated the cloud proudly, and appeared like islands in the sea. The sun began to arch it's way across the piercing blue sky, casting it's shimmering reflection in the rivers far, far below that threaded like ribbons towards the sea.

The scene was now set, and these views of towering mountains and distant valley floors would provide the backdrop for the rest of the day. We carried on climbing for a couple of hours, battling against the ridiculously strong wind that buffeted us around and onto rocks. However (for me at least!), the views and the glorious weather made it all worthwhile, and it was probably one of the best ridge walks I have ever done. After about 5 hours, we descended from the exposed ridge, wind-whipped and with rosy red cheeks and into the Jumbo hut for our second night. Cat, Kev and Sinead proceeded to put our humble offerings of the previous evening to shame as they served up creamy risotto and three cheese macaroni, and we settled in for the night with a party of bushy-bearded hikers with a gale howling outside.

On our final day we slid our way down the vertical, forested mountain side, and 'meandered' our way back to the car by the river in the true meaning of the word. It had been a testing hike, but fantastic fun*, and many of us battled with impending fatigue as we headed back to Welly for a post-trip curry.

The last few weeks have also included (in no particular order) fireworks down the harbour, fancy dress as a smurf for Halloween, lots of sport and a weekend trip to Otaki forks for hiking, fish and chips and muchos red wine, ending with a stunning coastal walk at Makara beach. I am really enjoying living in such a bustling, international hostel and meeting so many people who have a shared passion for travel, but who explore it in so many unique ways. I have made some really good friends, people who I will really miss when they inevitably move on for work or to continue travels.

As for my plans, I intend to continue working until the 16th of Dec when the kids break up for Christmas, and then head to the south island to really explore the wilderness with Mike. I really enjoy reading your comments and feedback.....please keep them coming!!





*Sinead will no doubt contest this;if you get a chance to see her video from the ridge I suggest you check it out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



13th November 2010

WELL DONE YOU!
Hey Matt, First of all, well done on your HUGE trek!!! We have just been talking about Ben Nevis in class, as we have been comparing UK with USA (so as you can imagine, I am in my element with the theme work at the mo!!) Glad to hear teaching is going well and that you have experienced a wide range of year groups....6ft 13 yr olds though? SCARY!!!! HA HA! Talking about 6ft boys, Zac is getting there!!! I heard him chatting to his table the other day, and he still really misses you! Bless him. The kids are doing fine anyway, will show them this blog next week. They really did love reading about the sumo wrestling!!! Loving the photos as well :o) Hope you enjoy the rest of the term....I am SO on countdown to 17th Dec! We're having another Christmas curry at Cafe Saffron, yippee! We'll miss you there though. Take care, Jo x x
13th November 2010

Hello You
Hiya Matt, enjoying reading your blogs and looking at your photos. OMG can't imagine what it must be like to be teaching four different age groupsat one time. You seem to be having the time of your life. Kirsty is really missing having chats and giggles with you. KS1 xmas performance this year is called THe Smelly Sprout!!!! MMMMMM! I wonder where that idea came from? LOL. Take care LV Dawn.xx
17th November 2010

Yo
hey Matt, I bet you were loving teaching people who were bigger than you!!! Ha ha, i bet yo unever thought that would happen when training to be a primary school teacher! Once again a superb blog, you talking about your walking reminded me of our adventures, particulary Snowdon!! Glad you have settled in and have found some routine, Speak to you soon Ed Ps, I'm gonna try and get a skype thing, i'll let you know when i have.
20th November 2010

At least a level 5!
It's good to see you're back in the classroom - your writing has developed those tell tale signs of 'what makes a good story'. But humour aside it's good to know that the Kiwis are benefitting from your teaching Having done similar in the UK with similar age groups it can be quite scary. You really have to put the right head on every day. But glad to hear that your intrepid explorer activities are not losing out with the 'earning an honest crust' Hang on in there. Love Sue
21st November 2010

What a great travelogue Matt, we are eagerly awaiting the next chapter. Its as good as a Bill Bryson book, are you going to publish or just use it as Geography lessons for the next 10 years. atb Barry.
22nd November 2010

Mountain bagger
Oi, Less of the smart photography sonny boy! Have you thought of trying a 'haka' next time you walk in to a class of 6 foot Maori kids? Either you establish authority/respect instantly Kiwi style, or, much more likely, a very tricky situation develops involving several large bodies piled on top of one smaller body - mmm better not eh! Unbelievable! This is the young man who, when a boy, could only endure hill walking if accompanied by a football and a dad prepared to pass/throw it to him throughout the walk or if he could spend the WHOLE walk planning the party for his next birthday (10 months away!). And now he's metamorphosed in to a proper mountain bagger! (Is that how you spell 'bagger' or should there be a 'u' in there somewhere?). Up t'Owls. Dad x
25th November 2010

AT LAST
Great to read that you're teaching & broadening your repetoire. Your desciption of 6ft Maori boys made me LOL. Absolutely loved the desciption & photos of your little treck!! We're off on our trip to Lanzarote soon. Expect we'll explore the volcanic landscape BUT it won't be extreme hiking! Enjoy South Island.
5th December 2010

re NZ
I have truely enjoyed reading your blogs and feel i know the country before going there We are finalizing our plans and shall be in picton on the 22nd Feb to pick up camper van and head south have a great Xmas in Queenstown with Mike
15th December 2010

Do I have to think of a title?
Hey Matt, I've just managed to catch up on your blog, its great and v. well written! It sounds really amazing and sort of awful all at the same time, don't fancy the required pitching of tent in car park much!! The Randlay children are loving reading about you and your school experiences, can't believe we break up for xmas on Friday this term has flown by. Ready for the rest though, the KS1 production of 'The Smelly Sprout' took all I had to give emotionally! ha ha. Missed you at the disco! Enjoy yourself buddy, take care! Kirst. xx

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb