Cape Reinga


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
April 9th 2010
Published: April 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We wake up before our 6.30am alarm and slowly start to surface. We head to the front of the hostel to wait for our bus. Once onboard we are introduced to our driver for the day Dice.

Our first stop was a short walk around the Puketi Kauri Forest. Some of these trees are around 2000 years old.

Rob told Kerry to have her photo taken hugging the tallest and oldest tree - so she did and was later told that the maoris believe hugging this tree boosts fertility - great!

We then have a toilet break at Kaitaia before cruising along 90 mile beach (which is in fact only 60 miles long).

Continuing on up the Esat Coast we arrive in Cape Reinga. We are able to walk to the light house at the tip of New Zealand and look out to the point where the Pacific Ocean meets the Tasman Sea.

As it is a very clear day we are also able to see an island in the distance - Tasmania.

Next we have lunch at the most northern beach in New Zealand overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

We also stop at Tapotupotu Bay and Te Paki where Rob tries his hand at sandboarding down the dunes.

A toilet stop at a souvenir shop allows us to walk up and down the staircase carved into the trunk of a large tree.

Our last stop is at Mangonui for world famous fish and chips. Although Rob refused to eat the fish!

Back to the hostel by 6pm - a good time to allow us to get the ever increasing laundry pile washed!



Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb