New Zealand - North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
February 22nd 2009
Published: February 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After an incredible few weeks in Fiji, we arrived in Auckland, New Zealand. We checked into the YHA Hostel and were shocked at the difference in atmosphere from Fiji where it was full of great happy people, whereas the YHA Hostel was full of miserable travelers who could barely say hello! On top of that we were delegated rooms on separate floors, both in rooms with strangers who didn’t have anything to say. Feeling like we needed a few days to recharge our batteries we took a relaxed stroll around Auckland Harbor & the surrounding shops. Got some dodgy Chinese for our first dinner and had an early night. The next couple of days followed pretty similarly, while we organized ourselves onto the ‘Kiwi Experience’ bus for all our travelling while in NZ. By the second day we figured we couldn’t cope much longer in the YHA (and after Holly getting multiple bedbug bites -urgh) we decided to pack up and move to BASE which was much more active and plenty of chatty people like ourselves.

The next day we hopped on the Kiwi bus up north to Paihia (The Bay of islands) on the east coast where we would be spending two nights. As many coastal towns are, Paihia was fairly quiet and had a lot of elder travelers. That afternoon we decided to take a walk up one of the hills through muggy Opua forest to get a better view of the bay. After a 40 minute walk upwards we reached a nice lookout point which allowed us to see more of the little islands that scatter the bay. As more and more mosquitoes mounted our arms and legs we decided we better start walking back down before we were eaten alive! The following day we headed north to Cape Reigna (most northern point of NZ) firstly stopping on the way at Puketi forest to see a 600 year old ‘Kauri’ tree. After driving for some time up a small mountainside, and waiting for a cow stampede in the road to clear, we arrived at Cape Reigna and had some amazing views down on to the nearby beaches and landscapes from the Lighthouse which shone for the first time in 1941. We could also see the change in colour of the water/line where the Pacific meets the Tasman Sea. Moving on we headed to ‘Te Paki’ stream to visit some of NZ’s best sandunes. After the incidents in Fiji i.e. both of us flying off, Holly sat this one out as did Kev not wanting to ruin his only pair of shorts! The dunes were impressive but had a much more gradual slope than Fiji’s 45 degree death trap! Heading back to Paihia we drove along probably one of the best roads in the world - ‘Ninety Mile Beach’. It is recognized as an official highway with speed limits enforced, however the ‘road’ just consists of a beautiful barren beach with the remains of a 4x4 poking up through the sand from a driver who forgot about the incoming tide!
Returning to Auckland the following day we headed towards Mercury Bay, first stopping to look into the small volcanic crater of Mt. Eden and casting views over Auckland city. We then took a 45 minute walk from a hillside down to ‘Cathedral Cove’ (as featured in the Chronicles of Narnia film). Before arriving at Mercury Bay our last stop was to visit ‘Hot Water Beach’, where you can dig your own hot pool. The beach was packed and some people seemed slightly over protective of the pools they had created! In some parts of the beach, the hot water rising through the sand was literally scolding. Being Valentine ’s Day we went for a meal at a Thai restaurant in Mercury bay - the weirdest experience of our lives! A very strange restaurant with an even stranger waiter!

On our way to Rotorua the following day we stopped at an old mining & railway site for the ‘Karangahake Gorge Historic walk’. Walking along the old rail tracks (and feeling a little like we were in a scene from ‘Stand by me’) we had amazing views of a lovely river at the bottom of a big rocky gorge, before walking over swaying bridges and venturing into a 1km long pitch black disused railway/mining tunnel. That afternoon we took the opportunity to try ‘luging’ in Rotorua. This involves travelling by Gondola up into the mountains, and hurtling your way back down steep hills in a gravity powered go-kart type vehicle. Much fun- very fast and a little dangerous! We arrived at our hostel and went for a walk to the government gardens to see the natural mineral/geothermal mud pools and steam pools. Rotorua is a very pongy place due to a thinner earth crust and a high concentrated release of the underlying sulphur. In the evening we headed out for a Maori cultural show and dinner (traditionally cooked in underground ovens). It was great to learn about the Maori history and insight into the way they lived/their traditions. Our only criticism was that it was over too soon! The next day we went grade 5 white water rafting down the Kaituna River which boasted the largest commercial waterfall in the world - 7 meters from top to bottom. We enjoyed a good laugh with our instructor and 4 huge local kiwi guys - we knew we’d be safe if we happened to go under! Rafting was amazing and we ‘surfed’ into the bottoms of some drops, getting completely submerged under heavy loads of gushing water.

The following day we headed for Waitomo, not before stopping in an agricultural area for a sheep shearing show. Pretty random, Kev ended up milking a cow on stage whilst Holly got up to feed the lambs! We then stopped at Ruakuri caves to see some limestone rock formations, small waterfall and native forest. In the afternoon we headed for our full cave experience - black water rafting/tubing in the Waitomo caves. It involved climbing through underground caves and squeezes, and tubing parts of the river in pitch blackness with our only natural light coming from the glowworms that beautifully line the cave ceilings. The tour finished with us having to find our own way out of the caves in complete darkness. On this day we also decided we would be doing our skydive the next day…GULP!

Next day, even more randomly, we stopped at a rabbit shearing hut! We entered to find a huuuge white fluffy German rabbit strapped to a ‘stretching table’ like device, ready to be shaved!! We were thankfully informed that they have to do this otherwise the rabbits would die of heat exhaustion. Stopped at Huka falls to see an amazing aqua blue river storming its way through a fairly narrow passage. Arriving in Taupo (home of a massive lake that fits the city of Singapore, and a little more) that afternoon we were picked up to go and throw ourselves 15,000 feet out of a plane - as you do. Buckled up, jump suits on, bare-footed, nervously we were in a tiny plane on our way up to the 15000 mark which took about 25mins. Shortly after breathing through oxygen tubes, the green light came on and it was time to jump!!!!!! The jump was UNREAL - we would go into detail but words cannot describe the adrenalin, feelings, and excitement. Holly landed in tears of joy and disbelief, while Kev was left speechless.

Next day, we were picked up at 5:30am to do the 7-8 hour trek known as ‘The Tongariro crossing’. The crossing covers 19KM and was NOT easy! The sights were a great experience (Lord of the Rings territory), but at times incredibly testing and dangerous and we reached the tip in complete cloud. Knowing there was a sheer death-sure drop either side, bad weather conditions, and unstable footage, Holly’s fear of heights was not helped by Kev’s foot slipping and it was all tears from then until the other side!!! A great experience overall - rewarding - and definitely worth the twisted knee!! Absolutely knackered…burger fuel meal and a quick pint in the Irish pub and it was time for bed!

Following day - head to ‘River Valley’ - remote place in the middle of nowhere - stunning. The cabin we stayed in is literally on the bank of the river with a cable wire swinging you into water. Next day we arrived in Wellington, luckily at the time of the Cuba St carnival! People, music, stages, stalls - everywhere. Watched a fabulous street parade that night with friends, and then enjoyed some of the live music that was on offer. Wellington is the 2nd windiest city in the world due to the separation of the north and south island. It is however a fantastic city - we checked out the botanical gardens via cable car and Wellington’s Te papa museum.

To sum up the North island - Cape Reigna, Bay of Islands, Mercury Bay, Auckland, Rotorua, Waitomo, Lake Taupo, River valley, Wellington, Cathedral Cove, extreme Luging, sulphar sniffing, white water rafting, sky diving, black water rafting/caving/tubing, Glow worming, Tongariro Crossing, cow milking, lamb feeding, sheep shearing, rabbit shaving?!!, a geo-thermal action, Mount Doom-in’, river swingin’, culture embracin’, wig wearin’ wicked two weeks!!!! Bring on the South island…



Additional photos below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb