The Magic Experience on the North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
November 5th 2008
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Shearing of the White Angora Rabbit 16 secs
2: And the Big Swing! 69 secs
3: Poi Poi 32 secs
4: The Haka 71 secs
5: Lady Knox Geyser 55 secs
Today I was starting my Magic Bus trip that would take me around the best places in NZ. It took me a while to decide on this bus, but after doing a lot of research on internet and a few recommendations I decided this was the best one for me, as it allows you to hop on and off when you want so you can take as little as a night or stay as long as you want in the towns we stopped.
After a quick stop at Mt Eden to contemplate the views of Auckland we headed to the Coromandel Region. We had a couple of stops along the way, the first one Hot Water Beach, however due to the high tide we could not reach it, but still had some time to take some photos of this nice beach. Our next stop was Cathedral Cove, a gigantic limestone arch, that we reached after a walk of about 25 min, but a little bit of morning exercise was good. In the afternoon we reached Whitianga (pronounced Fitianga as WH is pronounced like F in Maori), and I went for a quick walk along the beach, where I collected some beautiful shells (that I sent home), before going for dinner with Aoife, Katrina and Hazel, which will become my travelling partners during my stay in NZ.
The following day we headed to Waitomo, a famous little town (200 people lives here) due to the glowworms that inhabit the caves in the area. The girls and I had booked a 5 in 1 adventure trip with Rap, Raft'n'Rock to see the famous glowworms and do some activities. We got all our gear together including wetsuits (as it was going to be freezing in the subterranean river), boots, jackets, helmets, etc, and we looked so sexy...not!!!! (see the photos) and after a short drive we stopped at the entrance of one of the caves, where we first did a little bit of abseiling training. Our first challenge was a 27m abseil into the cave. The first second when you h ave to step out of the platform is scary, but after that all is good and you just have to enjoy it. Then it was time to see the famous glowworms (which are actually larvaes not worms, which have luminescent organs that produce a soft, greenish light in the dark, and tehy can only be found here in NZ). It was amazing, like seeing the sky full of stars. Then the fun started when we did blackwater rafting (well blackwater tubing) down the river inside the cave, where we also saw some more glowworms. This was soooo much fun, even though the water was freezing!!! Then it was time for some caving and we had to squeeze through some very narrow passages. The last thing was a 20 m rock climbing back the the outside world. After all these 5 hrs of exercise, adventure and beeing very cold in the water, we were all so tired that we had only energy to go down to the pub for dinner (the only pub in town, of course) and to sleep.
In the morning I felt so good and full of energy that I decided to take a walk around Waitomo, with a magnificent green scenery. In my path I found a poor limping bull and a cute little porcupine. Then I went to see how the do the shearing of these cute little (well, they are actually quite big) white angora rabbits. Before anyone asks me, they assure me that it doesn't hurt the poor rabbits.
After lunch we headed to Rotorua. That night we had booked our Tamaki Maori Village Experience where we had an excellent twilight tour to a marae (meeting house). Even on our way there we had so much fun with our driver where we had to imagine that we were in a waka (war canoe) instead of a bus, and she even made us paddling!! She taught us some Maori words that we would be using during the evening. On arrival each chief from each bus (chosen during our journey there) was put in front to meet the Maori chiefs and make sure we were allowed in by showing them that we came in peace. The Maori chiefs came showing their weapons and their scary tatoed faces trying to scare us, but all the chiefs were very brave and we were all allowed in! Tehn we were able to walk around a typical Maori village and aks questions about the Maori Culture and how they used to live. Then it was time for our Maori meal, the Hangi, which is their traditional method of cooking, under the ground. Everything was absolutely delicious and we all ate quite a lot, and even 2 serving of dessert. I forgot to say that during the shows I and the girls found some of the maoris very very sexy and handsome!!!!
Even though it's a very turistic thing, I think it's a must here and it was really good and we all enjoyed very much. To say goodbye all the staff danced the haka for us and we got to have a Maori kiss with a handsome maori. On the way back to our accommodation the entertaintment continued with our hilarious driver, singing songs from each of the countries we were from (I had to sing La Bamba, not by choice, but it was the only one they knew)
The following morning, Hazel, Aoife and I went to do some white water rafting at the Kaituna River, which is a grade 5 with a 7m fall at Okere Falls (that we were going to go down in the raft!!) I was at the front of the raft which was good fun, but more scary at the same time, especially at the 7m fall!!!None of us felt of the boat or anything so it was a smooth trip and we all enjoyed very much. The scenery going down the river was also spectacular but we were more worried about the river than anything else. After lunch I decided I needed more adrenaline rush so went to Agroventure to do the Swoop, a 130km/hr swing, and Freefall Xtreme, which simulates skydiving by blasting you 5m into the air in a column of wind created by a huge engine underneath you. The swoop was the scariest one as it's pretty similar to a bungy, but thank God I had one of the guys from the place there to hold onto. After all these I needed some rest but as we were leaving Rotorua the following day, Aoife and I went for a walk in the town. We first walked through the park where all the geothermical activity occurs. It was so so smelly, due the the sulphur, that in more than 1 occassion I felt a little bit sick. It smelled like really bad rotten eggs. Then we walked along the lake to the St Faith's Anglican church which combines Christian and Maori traditions. We also visited the Maori Village of Ohinemutu with its intricately carved Tama-te-kapua meeting house. Our last stop on our walk was the Rotorua Muself of A&H, which was once a bathhouse for the affluent, and it's a very impressive building. We were very tired after all our activities today and the 3hr walk but we still managed to go down the pub for dinner and a few drinks.
The next day our Magic Bus was taking us to Taupo, with of course some interesting stops along the way. The first one was the Lady Knox Geyser, which eruptes at 10.15am every day, with a little bit of help (by an organic soap). It was amazing seeing this spectacular phenomenon from nature. Then to the spectacular Wai-o-Tapu Geothermal area, famous for the vivid colourful mud pools and the craters. The best was the boiling, multicoloured Champagne Pool, but it was also the smelliest (again like bad bad rotten eggs, due to the sulphur), where you could see 3 different colours due to the different minerals in it (green, orange and yellow).
The next stop of the day was Rock'n'Ropes where I decided to try the Trapezi and the Big Swing. Out of all the bus only Jeroen and I were the brave ones and do this. Both were quite scary but the adrenaline rush I got was worth it. To get to the trapezi I had first to climb a pole and stand up on top of it (at 25m above the ground) and then jump forward to get the trapezi, which was not that close by! But I made it!!! I think I now can say I've done it all? I've done bungy (in SA), skydive (in AUS), abseiling, black water tubing, caving, climbing, white water rafting, swoop, freefall, trapezi and swing!! I think it has been a very good week in the adrenaline rush area, so I now can relax...just a little...just for a while...maybe! Before getting to Taupo we also stopped at the incredible Huka Falls, which throws over 200,000 litres of water per second. We also stopped at the bungy above the Huka River where you can jump and touch the water, but I decided to give it a miss as I think I had enough thrills for a few days and I still had other places to go and other things to do. After arriving to Taupo we went for a quick walk and then dinner at the hostel with the girls. Lake Taupo (606sq km) is the biggest lake in Nz, which sits in the cladera of a volcano, which last eruption was about 26,500 years ago. I have to say the hostels in NZ have been all really good and clean.
The following day I had a terrible cold so I stayed in bed most of the day as needed to get well to do the Tongariro Alpine Crossing the following day. I only left the hostel to buy me some medicine and some thermals, globes and a hat, as I was going to need them for sure as it had been snowing there so it was pretty cold.
The following day I felt much better and ready to do the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, a 18.5km trekking considered as a very challenging and described as one of the best 1 day hiking in NZ. I did it with Jeroen, who also stayed in Taupo longer so he could do the crossing as well. We were drop off at Mangatepopo Valley and we had a fairly easy first hour up to Soda Springs. From there the terrain turned very very steep, hence they call it the Devils staircase, and now I know why. It was hard, very hard (and this was only the beginning!) The views from there where like taken from a sci-fi movie (or maybe it's here where the US landed in the moon???) It was all volvanic rocks. Once on top we reached the entry to the South Crater, which was all white due to the snow that felt a few days before. It was ok to cross it but the snow made it a little bit more difficult. After that it came another big climb to the Red Crater Ridge. This one was even more difficult as there was lots of loose terrain which made each step just less than half but the views back to the South Crater and of course to Mr Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom in Lord of the Rings) were amazing, and I felt like Frodo in the movie going through all these different places to reach his destination. When we got to the top of the Red Crater we could see the smoke coming out of the ground and inside the crater, and we could also feel the hot steam . I had many layers of clothing and I can't remember how many times I put on and off my jacket, but it was a few, first you are hot, then cold, then hot again, etc From then on the track was down to the amazing Emerald Lakes, which are inside the main crater. Then another flat area before reaching the Blue Lake (neither of the lakes are allowed for swimming). Teh views of these lakes inside the craters were amazing. From there we were still a little bit less than half way and it was all down, which made it easier to start with, but worst on the knees, as some points were quite steep. The scenery here changed completely with just a few plants to a deep forest in teh last few hundred metres of out treck. We did it in 8hrs with a few stops on teh way to eat, catch your breatch and most important, to take lost of photos of this absolutely stunning place. I'm not surprised Peter Jackson chose it as one of the film locations for his Lord of the Rings movie. My feet were hurting lots but it was really worth it.
The following day we went to Wellington where I catch up with the girls and we all went to the Te Papa Museum. It was interesting but I had seen quite a lot of the same at Aucklands Museum, like all the Maori art and a volcano exhibition.
The following morning we were catching a ferry to go down to the south island.



Hoy empezaba mi aventura con el Magic Bus que me llevaria por los mejores lugares de Nueva Zelanda. Tarde bastante en decidirme por esta compania, pero despues de hacer varias busquedas en internet y recomendaciones de amigos decidi que esta era la mejor opcion para mi, ya que te permite subir y bajarte del autobus cuando quieres y te puedes pasar un dia o los que quieras en cada lugar que paramos.
Despues de una pequena parada en el Monte Eden para contemplar las vistas de Auckland, nos dirijimos hacia la Region de Coromandel. Hicimos un par de paradas por el camino, la primera de ellas Hot Water Beach (La Playa de aguas calientes), sin embargo debido a que la marea estaba alta no pudimos llegar hasta ella, pero aun asi tuvimos tiempo de sacar unas fotos en esta playa tan bonita. Nuestra siguiente parada fue Cathedral Cove (La Cueva Catedral), un gigantesco arco de piedra, al que pudimos llegar despues de unos 25min andando, pero un poco de ejercicio matutino no hace dano a nadie. La playa era increible y me entraron muchas ganas de banarme ya que hacia solecillo, pero la temperatura todavia no estaba tan calurosa como para entrar en el agua. Por la tarde llegamos a Whitianga (pronunciado Fitianga ya que los maoris pronuncian la WH como F), donde me fui a dar un paseo por la playa, y recoji unas cuantas conchas (que he enviado a casa), antes de ir a cenar con Aoife, Katrina y Hazel, que se convertirian en mis companeras de viaje durante mi estancia en Nueva Zelanda.
Al dia siguiente nos fuimos a Waitomo, un pequeno famoso pueblo (creo que solo viven unos 200 habitantes aqui) debido a los gusanos luminosos que habitan en las cuevas del area. Las chicas y yo habiamos reservado una actividad de 5 en 1 con Rap, Raft'n'Rock para ver los famosos gusanos y hacer algunas actividades. Nos pusimos todo el uniforme incluido el traje de buceo (necesario ya que el agua en el rio subterraneo iba a estar frio frio), botas de agua (con un agujero en la suela), chaquetas, casco con luz, etc, vamos que estabamos bien sexys...no! (ver las fotos), y despues de un corto trayecto en el todo terreno llegamos a la entrada de una de las cuevas del area, donde primero nos dieron un pequeno training en abseiling. Nuestra primera actividad fue una bajada de 27m suspendidos de una cuerda (abseiling). El primer segundo despues de que uno deja la plataforma da miedo pero luego todo esta bien y uno puede disfrutar de la experiencia (a menos que se tenga vertigo, pero yo no). De ahi nos dirijieron a ver los famosos gusanos de luz (que realmente son larvas y no gusanos, que tienen los organos luminiscentes que producen una luz verdosa en la oscuridad, para atraer a los insectos que se comen. Estos gusanos solo se encuentran en NZ) Fue increible, y parecia que estabamos observando el cielo lleno de estrellas! Entonces empezo la diversion, haciendo black water rafting (o mejor dicho tubing) por el rio subterraneo, donde vimos mas de estos gusanos luminiscentes. Fue super divertido, aunque el agua estaba helada!!!). Tambien hicimos un poco de espeleologia donde nos tuvimos que meter por pasadizos bien pequenos. La ultima cosa que hicimos
Getting ready for our 5 in 1 adventure!!Getting ready for our 5 in 1 adventure!!Getting ready for our 5 in 1 adventure!!

Hazel is on my right and Aoifa at the other far end
fue la escalada de 20 m para salir fuera de la cueva al mundo exterior. Despues de las 5 hrs de ejercicio/aventura y de pasar frio en el agua, estabamos todas tan cansadas que la unica energia que teniamos fue para ir al pub (el unico en el pueblo) a cenar y de ahi a dormir.
Por la manana me senti tan bien y llena de energia que decidi darme un paseo por los alrededores, donde el paisaje era increible y todo estaba super verde (no me extrana, con lo que llueve aqui en NZ). Por el camino me encontre con un toro que estaba cojeando el pobre y un pequeno puercospin. De ahi me fui a ver como les cortan el pelo a los conejos de angora. Antes de que me pregunteis, me aseguraron que el proceso no les hace dano a los conejos. Despues de comer nos fuimos a Rotorua. Esa noche habiamos reservado nuestra Experiencia Tamaki Maori Village donde nos dieron un excelente tour al pasado de la cultura Maori en un marae (casa de reuniones). Incluso de camino al lugar nos lo pasamos fenomenal con nuestra conductora, donde nos hizo imaginar que ibamos en una waka (canoa de guerra) en vez de un autobus, y incluso nos hizo remar!! Nos enseno tambien algunas palabras en Maori que ibamos a usar durante toda la noche. Al llegar cada Jefe de cada autobus (escojido durante el viaje) se pusieron en frente de los Jefes Maoris para asegurarse de que nos dejaban entrar, mostrandoles de que veniamos en paz. Los jefes Maoris entraron ensendoles sus armas y sus caras tatuadas, intentando espantar a nuestros jefes, pero todos fueron muy valientes y al final nos dejaron entrar. Pudimos ver un tipico pueblo Maori y preguntarles cosas acerca de su cultura y costumbres. De ahi llego la hora de la cena Maori, el Hangi, que es su manera tipica de cocinar, bajo tierra. Todo estaba buenisimo y comimos bastante, incluso 2 postres! Se me ha olvidado decir que durante los shows las chicas y yo descubrimos que algunos de los maoris son bien sexis y guapos!!!!! Aunque es algo bastante turistico he he decir que merecio la pena y las 4 lo pasamos fenomenal. Al acabar todo el staff nos mostraron el Haka y incluso conseguimos un beso Maori de uno de los guapos Maoris! De camino de vuelta el entretenimiento continuo con nuestra divertidisima conductora, cantando canciones de cada pais de donde eramos (a mi me toco la Bamba, no por eleccion propia, pero era la unica que se sabian en espanol)
A la manana siguiente, Hazel, Aoife y yo fuimos a hacer white water rafting en el rio Kaituna, que es de grado 5, con una cascada de 7m en las cascadas de Okere (y que ibamos a bajar en la balsa!!) A mi me toco enfrente en la balsa, que aunque fue divertido dio un poco de miedo tambien, especialmente cuando llego la cascada de 7m!!! Ninguno de nosotros se cayo de la balsa asi que tuvimos una experiencia increible. El paisaje bajando por el rio era increible, aunque no ibamos muy concentrados en eso. Despues de comer decidi que necesitaba mas adrenalina, asi que me fui a Agroventure a hacer el Swoop, una caida a 130km/h, y Caida Libre Xtreme, que simula paracaidismo landandote al 5m de altura en una columna de aire creada por una gran turbina debajo tuyo. El Swoop dio mas miedo, ya que es similar a hacer puenting, pero gracias a Dios uno de los chicos que trabaja alli, se subio conmigo, asi que pude agarrarme a su brazo en cuanto nos dejaron caer. Despues de un dia asi necesitaba algo de descanso, pero como al dia siguiente nos ibamos de Rotorua, Aoife y yo decidimos darnos un paseo por el pueblo. Primero andamos por el parque donde ocurre toda la actividad geotermica. Menuda peste que hacia, debido al sulfuro, y incluso me dieron ganas de vomitar en mas de una ocasion. Olia como malos huevos podridos, vamos asqueroso. De ahi andamos alrededor del lago hasta la iglesia anglicana de St Faith, que combina tradiciones cristianas y Maoris. Tambien visitamos el Pueblo Maori de Ahinemutu con su increibles grabados en la casa de reuniones. Nuestra ultima parada fue el Museo de Rotorua, que fue una vez una casa de bano para los ricos, y es un edificio impresionante. Estabamos bastante cansadas despues de todo el dia haciendo actividades y nuestra caminata de 3hr pero todavia tuvimos suficiente energia para ir al pub a cenar y tomarnos unas copas.
Al dia siguiente nuestro Magic bus nos llevo hasta Taupo, con algunas interesantes paradas por el camino. La primera de ellas fue el Geyser de Lady Knox, que erupte cada dia a las 10.15am con una pequena ayuda (de un jabon organico). Fue increible ver este fenomeno de la naturaleza. De ahi a la espectacular area geotermica de Wai-o-Tapu, famoso por los banos de lodo de colores y los craters. El mas impresionante, para mi, fue el bano de lodo de Champagne Pool con sus differentes colores (verde, naranja y amarillo), pero tambien fue el que peor olia!. Nuestra siguiente parada fue Rock'n'Ropes donde decidi probar el trapecio y el gran columpio. Solo Jeroen y yo fuimos los valientes en todo el autobus. Las dos actividades daban miedo pero la sensacion de la adrenalina recorriendo mi cuerpo merecia la pena. Para llegar hasta el trapecio tuve primero que escalar un poste de madera y despues de conseguir llegar a lo alto (a unos 25m de altura), saltar para cojer el trapecio, que no estaba precisamente cerca, pero lo consegui!! Creo que ahora puedo decir que lo he hecho todo??? He echo puenting en Sud Africa, Paracaidismo en Australia, abseiling, black water rafting, espeleologia, montanismo, white water rafting, swoop, caida libre, trapecio y gran columpio!!! Creo que ha sido una semanita increible en lo que a adrenalina se refiere, asi que creo que ahora me puedo relajar...bueno...solo un poco....puede!!! Antes de llegar a Taupo tambien paramos en las increibles cascadas de Huka Falls, por donde pasan mas de 200,000litros de agua por segundo. Tambien paramos en el puente sobre el rio Huka, donde se puede hacer puenting y tocar el agua, pero decidi pasar ya que habia echo bastantes cosas ya, y todavia me quedaban sitios por ver y otras cosas que probar seguro. Al llegar a Taupo nos dimos un paseo por el pueblo antes de cenar en el hostel con las chicas. El Lago Taupo (de 606 metros cuadrados) es el mas grande de NZ, el cual esta situado en la caldera de un volcan, que erupto por ultima vez hace unos 26,500 anos. He de decir que los hostels en NZ han estado todos super bien y bien limpios.
Al dia siguiente tenia un costipado increible asi que decidi pasarme casi todo el dia en la cama descansando ya que al dia siguiente necesitaba estar bien para hacer el Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Solo sali del hostel para comprarme algo de medicina y ropa termica, unos guantes y gorro, ya que los iba a necesitar seguro, porque habia nevado durante los dias anteriores en Tongariro NP.
Al dia siguiente me senti mucho mejor y lista para lo que me esperaba en el Tongariro Alpine Crossing, un trekking de 18.5 km considerado duro y descrito como uno de los mejores trekkings de 1 dia en NZ. Lo hice con Jeroen, que tambien se quedo en Taupo mas tiempo para poder hacerlo. El autobus nos llevo hasta el Valle de Mangatepopo, donde empezamos la caminata. La primera hora hasta Soda Springs fue facil y en plano, pero de ahi el terreno se volvio bastante inclinado, de ahi que lo llamen las Escaleras del Demonio (Devils staircase), y ahora se porque. Fue bien duro, y eso que solo estabamos al principio! Las vistas parecian salidas de una pelicula de ciencia ficcion ( o puede que fuera aqui donde los EEUU aterrizaron en la luna????) El terreno era todo de roca volcanica. Una vez en lo alto llegamos a la entrada del Crater del Sud, que estaba todo blanco debido a las nieves que habian caido los dias anteriores. De ahi pasamos a otra parte bastante inclinada de nuevo hasta la cima del Ridge crater. Esta inclinacion todavia fue mas dura ya que el terreno era arenoso con
here we are in front of the glowwormshere we are in front of the glowwormshere we are in front of the glowworms

We had to stay still for 20 s to get this photo and as you can see I couldn't!
lo cual con cada paso que dabamos, volviamos casi al mismo lugar, pero las vistas que teniamos mirando de nuevo al Crater del Sud y por supuesto al Monte Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom en el Senor de los Anillos) eran espectaculares, y me senti como Frodo en la pelicula atravesando todos estos diferentes paisajes para llegar a mi destino. Al llegar a la cima del Crater Rojo podiamos ver el humo saliendo del suelo y de dentro del crater, y tambien podiamos sentir el calorcito que de ahi salia (aunque olia mal claro). Yo llevaba varias capas de ropa y no puedo recordar cuantas veces me quite y puse la chaqueta, pero fueron unas cuantas, porque primero hace frio, luego calor, luego frio, etc. De ahi el camino fue hacia abajo hacia los increibles Lagos de Esmeralda, que estan dentro del creater principal. De ahi otra area plana hasta alcanzar el Lago Azul (por cierto, uno no se puede banar en ninguno de estos lagos). Las vistas de estos lagos dentro del crater eran increibles. De ahi todavia nos faltaba algo mas de la mitad del camino, pero ya era todo bajada, que en principio fue mas facil, pero al final las rodillas terminan por cargarse bastante, ya que en algunos puntos el terreno era bastante inclinado. El paisaje aqui cambio completamente, pasando de algunos arbustos a un bosque frondoso en los ultimos metros de nuestro treck. Lo hicimos en unas 8hrs con algunas paradas para comer, cojer aliento, y lo mas importante, sacar bien de fotos de este lugar tan increible. No me sorprende que Peter Jackson lo elijiera como uno de sus lugares de filmacion para la pelicula El Senor de los Anillos. Los pies me hacian un monton de dano y me salieron algunas ampollas, pero merecio la pena.
Al dia sigueinte continue mi viaje hasta Wellington donde volvi a encontrarme con las chicas, y nos fuimos al Museo de Te Papa. Estuvo interesante pero yo ya habia visto bastante de lo mismo en el museo de Auckland, como todo el arte Maori y una exhibicion acerca de volcanes.
A la manana siguiente cojimos el ferry para irnos a la Isla del Sud.







Additional photos below
Photos: 128, Displayed: 40


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb