Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
January 10th 2006
Published: January 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We sleep in since we really don’t have anything to do today. It is cloudy and cooler than yesterday. We go out for lunch and walk around the city some before going back to our hotel room. We take wee naps and I work on the travel journal. We then walk to the train station to take the train out to Todd and Fiona’s restaurant, The Village, in Crofton Downs. It is only a few blocks away from the train station and we arrive a little after 6:00 pm, as they have a family restaurant so they are totally finished with their restaurant duties by about 9:30 pm. We get there to have dinner before Quiz Night starts at 7:00 pm. Todd and Fiona told us this was a Kiwi tradition and we needed to be there to participate. Briefly, there are six different categories with about ten questions each. You have five minutes to answer the questions and during those five minutes they ask spot questions to be called out by anyone who knows the answer. We had been reminiscing about Todd and Luke’s youth last night and Todd made sure that Luke was made famous in his restaurant by having the emcee ask the question, “What type of Schnapps will Luke Johnston never drink again?” Everyone was puzzled that I was the only one that knew the answer. Anyway, Michael and I were in first place between the second and fifth round but lost in the sixth round by two points. I was quite proud of us since we still don’t know that much about Kiwi culture. We also go two other spot questions right. Michael and I planned to be on the 9:44 pm train back to Wellington since the next trains were one hour apart, but Todd had just finished cleaning up the kitchen and talked us into staying to have a few drinks with him before we went home. Fiona was still completing her restaurant duties and talked us into staying longer so she ended up taking us home a little after 11:00 pm. We had a wonderful time with Todd and Fiona and will miss them. We promised to stay in touch so we can get together again in the future.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb