Life on the road


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
October 30th 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Impressed with Auckland, it was time to see the rest of New Zealand, and there's only one way to do that - in a campervan! Organised as ever, we left it to our very last morning in Auckland to see about getting one, but despite the warnings that these things need to be booked weeks in advance, our luck was in, and we managed to get this little number - home for the next 3 1/2 weeks.

Wanting to take it easy on our first day behind the wheel, our first destination was the Bay of Islands, just a few hours north of Auckland, stopping en route to pick up a few camping essentials: tinned beans, spaghetti hoops, microwaveable frankfurters (yes, we have a microwave!) and the "Heroes" Series 1 dvd boxset (yes, we have a dvd player!). Our first night there set the scene beautifully for life on the road: the campsite was gorgeous, with immaculate facilities, and a beautiful lakeside setting - no roughing it here. Although, in stark contrast to us with our hotdogs and beans, everyone else seemed to think they were auditioning for masterchef, so we've had to up our game in that regard - it's amazing what you can whip up in a the back of a van!

We'd always been looking to this part of our trip, but we've been surprised at just how much we're loving both New Zealand and our van. The country is made for roadtrips with the most amazing scenery at every turn, the driving's a breeze and our van...well, the van is just home, and I'm sure there'll be a few tears when we have to hand it back! It'll be very difficult to go back to hauling our luggage around on busses after the freedom and comfort we're enjoying here, but we've still a couple of weeks before we have to worry about that yet...


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

The Hole in the RockThe Hole in the Rock
The Hole in the Rock

Title says it all really!
Dolphins!Dolphins!
Dolphins!

Think you can just about see them
Cape ReingaCape Reinga
Cape Reinga

The most northerly point of the North Island
Eating a scallopEating a scallop
Eating a scallop

NZ has possibly the best fish and chips ever!
Neil in RotoruaNeil in Rotorua
Neil in Rotorua

Rotorua is famous for its thermal activity, as you can probably tell by all the steam!
Geothermal activity in RotoruaGeothermal activity in Rotorua
Geothermal activity in Rotorua

You can see the sulphur in this shot - smells delightful!
A hangi ovenA hangi oven
A hangi oven

A traditional Maori oven, which uses the natural geothermal heat to cook food.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb