Its getting colder!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
June 22nd 2007
Published: June 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Greetings once again from 11hours ahead of you guys!

Its a strange feeling being so many hours ahead of the UK. Whenever were checking emails, updating blogs and checking the latest football gossip no one is ever on MSM! We get to see the sun first as well at this end of the world although its not very warm at the moment. Each night the temperature drops to around freezing point, as previously mentioned and its due to get even colder on the South Island and we keep hearing on the radio that some towns have been cut off! (No need to worry mum-I will be ok).

So, continuing from last blog we headed to Waitomo Caves where we ventured deep into the unknown! The caves were pretty impressive (not as good as the rafting) and we spent the whole morning here looking throught the various caves and even managed to see some glowworms. After a spot of lunch we hit the road yet again to head down to New Plymouth. Just to give you an idea of the distances - each of the places we visit are around 2hours apart. We generally take it in turns with the driving but most days we spend around 4hours driving. In the UK this would be horrible but then what good can be made of the M6, M25 or rush-hour traffic? There are the main towns/ cities but in-between these there is nothing but mountains, the odd house, sheep and grass. We were to find this on our drive from the caves that day...

We set off with a quarter of a tank of petrol but before we knew it the light was on and we started to sweat and this was not down to the weather. We were pretty much in the middle of nowhere and when we came to what looked a village on the map is was nothing more than a post box! We managed to drive/coast/ push our way around 60km to a local petrol pump which we filled up. Now, you'd think we would learn our lesson - not at all! Yesterday we actually did run out of petrol and I pull the short straw on taking the walk to nerest sign of life, grovelling for some Unleaded 91 - we were back on the road just over an hour later thankfully. Tom blames this regular occurence on the dodgy fuel gage but he always seems to be driving when the light comes on? Hmmm

Anyway, that afternoon we had a look around New Plymouth which wasn't particuarly exciting but we had to wait to the following morning before we could tackle Mt. Taranaki! They would not let us venture up in the dark unfortunately - they were concerned with our safety which was nice so the following morning we ventured up the hill and man what hard work! A pretty steep hill, described as 'a steady but enjoyable climb' on the information board. My ass! We didnt make it to the top but we made it to just above the clouds and that was after almost breaking our ankles on the ice 100metres from the top. The views however were amazing and after a quick sit down we made our way back down - sliding for the first 100metres or so.

This was of course all in preparation for the Tongariro Crossing the following day. When confronted by the lady at the local information point we advised her that we managed Mt. Taranaki in trainers and a just a coat and tried to ignore her advice saying that we needed specialist walking boots, crampons (spike on shoes) and the other gear in order to tackle the Tongariro Crossing. Blokes always know best! Now for our own safety we were told that we could not do the crossing unless we had a knowledgeable guide with us and all the equipment. We agreed to back down and glad we did....

The guide for the trip Stewart and someone who had done the crossing over 500times provided us with all the gear but we were sent back to the camper van to layer ourselves up with more t-shirts, jumpers, shorts etc.. I almost had all the clothes in my bag on my body in one go and felt like the Michelin Man! Now the crossing takes you ato Mt. Tongariro peak and beside another peak (name I cant remember!). It is 18.5km long and takes anywherefrom around 6-8hours. It was to be a hard days work. After the initial 2hours of the climb (always the hardest and worst part of the trip) we hit the peak and WOW! We were knee height in snow and the views and scenary was simply superb! It was a pleasure to be up there and the coldness was quickly forgotten. It was hard to think that 2weeks ago we were swealtering in 32degrees heat of Cairns. Aswell as Tom, the guide and myself there were a Austrian couple - Michael and Anna. Michael of which had to take the majority of the photos as both mine and Tom's cameras didnt work due to the coldness. It was a great sight and certainly a highlight of the trip. We arrived back tired, exhausted but in what we were told was a very quick time. Unfortunately it didnt come close to the record of 1hour 35mins!!!

That night we headed onto Taupo which was to be a quick visit/ overnight stop before heading to Napier on the East Coast. With meeting the two girls (Katie and Sarah) on Saturday we finding we have to 'kill' a bit of time hence why we are spreading days and activities out. We did our weekly food shop in Taupo (so cheap!) and then headed on our eventful running out of petrol trip to Napier. That night we went to see Oceans 13 which was pretty good. Its been great having a chilled out (no alcohol) week due to antibiotics but this will all change for the last 3weeks come Wellington!

From Napier we headed off to Palmerston North where we used as our overnight stop on the way to Wellington. We went out to play pool in a bar called 'Jones Bar' whcih was kinda cool but that night I accidently hit a cat while driving! Totally accidental as it just ran out in front of me whilst driving down a country lane but at least we had some dinner that night :-) We arrived in Wellington (the capital city of New Zealand) this morning and it is a really nice place. Were heading out into town tonight, perhaps with one of Tom's mates who moved over here and tomorrow we are meeting up with Katie and Sarah and heading out tomorrow night aswell I think - to plan the trip of course for the South Island!

Now, we have agreed through text that they will be doing the cooking, washing up, clothes washing, making beds etc etc but in our dreams we have been told!! I'm sure we'll come to an agreement. The anti-biotics are a thing of the past and a first beer in 10days is calling for us both. The next blog should be from the South Island which is 3hour ferry trip away on Sunday morning (25th). Hopefully the sea air will help the hangover....

Anyway, I hope everyone is well and enjoying life! Laterz...




Advertisement



Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb