The Old Gorge Cemetery, Woodville


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
July 10th 2021
Published: July 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

As a genealogist, I spend a great deal of time in cemeteries all over the country. But this cemetery is my favourite, mainly because I have great-great grandparents buried there but also because of its historic value and because it is the most peaceful place I have ever spent time in.

Finding the cemetery is slightly tricky the first time. Located on the outskirts of Woodville, you have to pretend you are going to drive through the closed Manawatu Gorge by driving along Napier Road as the cemetery is located on the north side of SH3 near Old Gorge Road. Just drive right past the large sign that points out that the gorge is closed. You will see the lawn cemetery on your left and a yellow AA sign pointing to the right. Look across the road and you will see a small entrance, accessed by driving across the railway lines. A winding, narrow track will take you up to the cemetery, situated at the base of the Ruahine Ranges.

When you arrive at the cemetery you will find plenty of space to park your car. It is also possible to drive right around the cemetery which is great if you are looking for a particular plot and know where it is located. If you don't know where your ancestor is buried, check out the wonderful display board in the parking area as it lists every name with the relevant Block and Plot number and also has a great map.

If you have family buried here, it is well worth making the effort to find their graves. The cemetery is well-maintained and the graves without headstones are gradually acquiring small ones which is lovely. This is the one cemetery I visit where I can feel the connection between the early settlers. They arrived here from all over the world (mine came from Germany and England), taking a huge leap of faith that they would be able to make a new life for themselves here. So many nationalities, so many languages, so much hardship, so many connections.

If you don't have family buried there, it is still worth a visit if you are interested in NZ/local history. For example, one famous person buried there is Gottfried Lindauer (Block 13 Plot 5). It is also a great place to visit just for the sake of visiting it. I always have my dog with me and once we have visited all my family, we just wander round, enjoying the tranquility there. And if you ever come across an iPhone, please let me know as yes, I lost my iPhone there! But that's another story.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb