We Finally Made It!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whangarei
July 9th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, we made it to New Zealand..
20 hours of flying, 4 movies, $12 worth of bulk barn, and many scattered hours of sleep later, but we're finally here.
We started the countdown when we bought our plane ticket, 99 days ago, and it seems so hard to believe that the day is finally here. We left Tuesday, July 7th from Toronto but when we got here it was Thursday, July 9th. Where did Wednesday go? I'm sure it'll turn up when we return, 8 months from now.
The first plane we flew on with Air Canada was an airbus, 3 on each side of the aisle. Although we didnt have seats together Matt used his sales skills to offer up his window seat so that we could be together. That flight seemed to be the longest as we forced ourselves to stay awake so that we could sleep through most of the 13 hour flight from LA to Auckland. That plane was ginormous, a boeing 747 with 10 people across each row. Although the sleep was in short spurts, it took up a good portion of the flight. There was a good selection of movies, a few games to play and the lady beside us was quite dormant. This brought us to NZ where we stepped outside to their 'frigid' winter wearing flip flops and shorts as we sat on a bench and read our books. The last plane we took was not like the others, we walked out to the terminal and hopped aboard the puddlejumper-3000, 20 seats in total, all window seats. Matt laughed about it the entire trip, the whole 35 minutes.
As we landed we could see Noel and Matthew, waiting patiently for us to get off while Rachel slept in the car. We'll tell you more about them later.
We got home and unloaded into our 'cottage' just beside the house. On bedroom with a small kitchen/living area and bathroom off to the side. It was nice to see a big Canadian flag plastered to the wall when we walked in. They had also made up a nice picture frame of pictures of family and friends. It already feels like home.

We're getting ready for bed, listening to the rain and preparing for life as we know it for the next 8 months.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Air New ZealandAir New Zealand
Air New Zealand

Puddlejumper-3000


10th July 2009

hello
I found your blog on google. Keep it up. Love to hear stories of your adventure. Was it pictures of your family or theirs? One bedroom you say?????? I still find it hard to believe that you are on the other side of the world. Sounds like you are off to a good start which makes me very happy. Looking forward to .lots more news. Love you and miss you

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.1kb